The real differences in 700r4/4l60/4l60e transmissions by year

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
The problem with putting the 96 trans in the 94 is the PWM valve body / pump/ TC lock in the trans. 94 has no way to control the PWM circuits in the 96 trans.

BillMaxon93

Reaction score
I have a 93 Silverado with a 4l60e. I was told by a dealer who checked my vin said that this was a 1 year trans. Is this true and is it possible to swap in a 700r4?

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
93 and 94 are interchangeable. a 700r4 could be swapped in, but its going to cost more to get it right than if you just fix yours or find another direct swap.

mattgotachevy

Reaction score
So maybe someone can chime in. Before I knew anything about the 95 being a 1 yr only transmission, I swapped in a different 4l60. Everything seems to work except that it wont shift into second. I put it in drive and go forward and have to let off the gas to let it shift into third and then if i try downshifting to second it just acts like its slipping. I also have overdrive tho. I dont know what year 4l60 is in it and i dont have the old transmission either.

Also as stated in the first post about converting a 96 to a 95 style trans. Is it bad for a transmission to "cut loose"? as its described it sounds like its ok to just swap the solenoid and deal with the effects of doing so.

Last edited: