The real differences in 700r4/4l60/4l60e transmissions by year

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Its very rough on an engine to be pulling in gear, it go to shift down under heavy throttle, and it just hit neutral. You will pull your hair out messing with it. As far as the trans goes, i don't see why it would hurt anything inside it, but it would be worth the slight amount of extra effort/cost to put the correct valve body and separator plate on it and it be right.

mattgotachevy

Reaction score
How hard is it to do that? Yeah I plan on towing. My buddy I got the tahoe from said he thinks the other trans in it is also a 95. Is there a for sure way of telling if it's a 95 transmission?

zpi28

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I installed a 94 Trans in my 96 C1500. I had to swap out the shift shaft, harness and PWM out of the 96 trans into the 94. I mounted the PWM in the same place it came out of on the 96. I have already put 900 miles on it since and its working great. I will be putting a vette servo in it this weekend. I did not change any shift solenoids they are still the 94 stuff.

98_k1500

Reaction score
PWM refers to the method used by the ECM to lock up the torque converter. If the trans had bosses on the side of it to mount a neutral safety switch, it did not come out of a 94. It may have been in a 94, but gm did not put it there.

98_k1500

Reaction score
How hard is it to do that? Yeah I plan on towing. My buddy I got the tahoe from said he thinks the other trans in it is also a 95. Is there a for sure way of telling if it's a 95 transmission?

You would have to measure the resistance of the 3-2 shift solenoid and the TCC solenoid to be sure. Specs for that are on post #1. All you do to change the valve body and separator plate is unhook the shift linkage, unplug the solenoids, hold the separator plate to the valve body tightly (parts will fall out if you let it come off of it) and gently lift it off the trans. If its done gently, you usually won't tear up the gasket. There is 1 ball (looks like a BB) that will be between the separator plate and trans housing. It HAS to go back EXACTLY from where it came from. Other than that, you just stick it on your new trans, bolt it down, plug it up, throw a new filter and pan gasket on it, and you are on your way. If your pump has PWM casted on the front of it (in the bell housing behind the torque converter) you know its a 95+ trans. If it does not have PWM on it, Its a -94.

HooliganC2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im currently in need ofva trans for my 90 c2500 so if i find a 4l60 non e it will work ok in my truck?

jlast

Reaction score
as it reads 97 2 piece is the same as 97 1 piece as far as swapping. will a 95 VB and electrical work with the two piece trans and converter through 97- 99up ? Just curious

Last edited:

DylanD

Reaction score
I've got a new project truck its a 91 with the 4l60 (700r4) the truck and trans has over 350,000 miles so its starting to slip at take off. should i replace with another 4l60 or go another route.

Str8lineJKing

Reaction score
SO i realized this forum was for 88-98 trucks after registering. But maybe you can answer my question. I have a 2001 4.3 Silverado with a bad transmission. I have found a 4l60e locally from a 2004 4.3 silverado. I understand the bellhousings have an extra bolt hole at the 12 o'clock position on the 2004. But does anyone know if the 2004 will interchange into the 2001?