The Plow Truck: 99 454 CCSB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yesterday I finally got off my ass and primed, seam sealed, and painted these floor boards.

You must be registered for see images attach

I used a 2 part epoxy primer, so probably didn't even need the paint. I just used some Rustoleum white rattle can on it. Now I'm working to get the carpet back in. Every time I touch something more dirt falls out of nowhere. The amount of filth in this truck is insane.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
How's this one coming along @Supercharged111? I've always enjoyed the updates on this truck.

I've got another chain to immobilize the truck. I figure I have nothing to lose in trying to straighten it out a bit, it's already bent. Took a few hits pulling the lower a arm forward last week and it budged but that's it. Gonna try, maybe tomorrow, pulling the rail straight out. It needs to move almost an inch. This truck has made it back to the top of my list, I want the plow hooked up before the snow flies.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Did you already get a plow for it?

Its getting close. We've had a huge Halloween snow storm up here around 30 years ago... or we could go until January before you need it. I dont like pushing plow truck projects out past Oct 1st. More power to ya!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I got a complete Western Midweight plow with wings back in May. Wiring and all, wiring is installed so I really only have to bolt up the mount to the truck. But I want to be done yanking on the frame before I go bolting stuff to it.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Nice, I went back to look at it. I thought you did but I didn't want to search back 10 pages or something to look for it.

Just a heads up if you rely on it to get out of your driveway after a big snow storm, get an extra alternator now just to keep in the cab. Those big plows take a lot of juice and your generally not revving up for long enough to give the alternator any relieve with only 1 batt and 1 alt. And get one with a long 2 or 3 year warranty. Or better yet, put in a new warrantied one and keep you old one as a spare.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Nice, I went back to look at it. I thought you did but I didn't want to search back 10 pages or something to look for it.

Just a heads up if you rely on it to get out of your driveway after a big snow storm, get an extra alternator now just to keep in the cab. Those big plows take a lot of juice and your generally not revving up for long enough to give the alternator any relieve with only 1 batt and 1 alt. And get one with a long 2 or 3 year warranty. Or better yet, put in a new warrantied one and keep you old one as a spare.

It's actually not a big heavy plow, 7.5' without the wings. But would dual batteries lessen the blow to the alternator? Now that I'm thinking about it, the dually is a 97 so doesn't use the same alternator. But I'm a total cheapass so spare pull and pay alternator it is!

I did swing out to the hangar briefly today, but I took the Z06 as I want to keep the dually home a couple more days. I'm headed out there Saturday morning to yank on the frame and to try popping some spot welds to release a quarter panel off of a donor Camaro. My race car's panel is hammered. I don't think it's my imagination. This truck does drive a little less bad than before. RF wheel needs to move forward by the diameter of my pinky knuckle and if it still pulls I'll screw with the alignment. If that gets it going straight down the road I'll call it a win and re-engage all the other repairs and mods that were planned.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Frame yanking didn't do diddly squat. The plan there now is to build a 1 off puller out of some steel tubing and pull on it with a jack against itself. I watched a couple YouTube videos where folks made their own frame pullers. Since we're moving this year, that's not something I want to have to pack, so one off it is. Because of this, I'm Ok With putting the plow mount on. Easier said than done. I cleaned up the mounts and remembered one had a small rear.

These are easily removed from the truck with a clip and pin to make it more usable in the summer time. Notice how they're both different designs?

Here I'd beaten it to where the inboard section was lining back up properly and zapped it first. Next I got the far end back to where it belonged and zapped it too.

My friend gave me some flack as I didn't gouge it out to get full penetration (giggity!). I figured there was still room for improvement regardless.

And there was, as it's only welded on the one side.

Good enough for government work! Gotta spritz it with some VHT chassis and roll bar paint, my best hope at longevity in the form of a rattle can. But it's still not a simple matter of bolt on and go. I won't attach these to a brown frame, so I have to yank the bumper and if I'm pulling the bumper I may as well swap out the fenders and possibly core support. Quite the slippery slope we have here.