The Overhead Console Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TCBRacer77

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is there any reason why we can’t use the tabs on rear of console in a regular cab? Rather than drilling holes and cutting tabs off? Just thinking if I could replicate “factory mounting” in my regular cab, provided that the inner skin would allow?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Is there any reason why we can’t use the tabs on rear of console in a regular cab? Rather than drilling holes and cutting tabs off? Just thinking if I could replicate “factory mounting” in my regular cab, provided that the inner skin would allow?
Lot of work for the same result.
Not much space between that inner metal skin & the outer roof. Cutting those holes in the right spot without doing any damage to the outer would be a whole lot dicier than punching 3 small holes.
...and yes, those holes should be punched, not drilled. Drilling removes material. Punching doesn't. Leaves more metal for the screws to glom onto.

TCBRacer77

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lot of work for the same result.
Not much space between that inner metal skin & the outer roof. Cutting those holes in the right spot without doing any damage to the outer would be a whole lot dicier than punching 3 small holes.
...and yes, those holes should be punched, not drilled. Drilling removes material. Punching doesn't. Leaves more metal for the screws to glom onto.
What kind of punch are we talking? I’ve seen sheet metal punches but I can’t seem to picture how that would work without access to back side of sheet metal. Sorry… I’m learning lol…

bretcopsey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you remove that garage door opener door, (Yes. That's actually what it's for!) a lens from an S-10 overhead light snaps right into that opening.
The tabs on the lens actually match up & snap into pre-existing holes in the console.
The fit is slightly loose, but a needle or pliers heated up can be used to slightly melt/bend the tabs on the lens from the backside of the console when the lens is installed, to get it to fit just that much better.
Operative word is 'slightly'!
Don't bend the tabs so much so that if you ever have to replace the bulb, the console has to be removed in order to get the lens off.
Throw in an LED festoon bulb or two. Wire it up into the dash light rheostat as the original O/H light is.

You must be registered for see images attach

...or...
Go BIG & r-e-a-l-l-y bright!
There's room for 2 or 3 of these, depending on what size you get.

Any help on what year S-10 for this lens? I’ve tried searching for S-10 dome lens and keep coming up with a Dorman part #74323 which is much smaller than what would be required to fill the hole after removing the garage door opener door from the console.

Attachments

• ED440A1F-4F7D-4E57-9A0E-C150C3C34896.jpeg
    ED440A1F-4F7D-4E57-9A0E-C150C3C34896.jpeg
    287 KB · Views: 18

bretcopsey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I made it out to the pick n pull today and can confirm this lens came in overhead consoles in S10 Blazers, Jimmys and Bravadas which also have the home link module that should pop right into the truck console. Looks like the years are 95-04.

I grabbed what I could find since I was there. None of the lenses have part numbers on them.

Attachments

• DBEB9F2C-75A2-47B1-85F6-6A496BB3DC2B.jpeg
    DBEB9F2C-75A2-47B1-85F6-6A496BB3DC2B.jpeg
    513.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 6E83CC80-FD62-4A07-B305-2160A0B2A8B8.jpeg
    6E83CC80-FD62-4A07-B305-2160A0B2A8B8.jpeg
    430.8 KB · Views: 31