The herd grows

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Granted that's wheel HP, so it's probably 315-320ish engine hp with drivetrain loss.

With the LS swap, if you have everything ready to go, it could a weekend thrash, that is assuming you do all the exhaust. From what I understand GMT800 downpipes and Y-pipe work on the GMT400. I believe Polarbear used that on his K2500 Suburban that was LS swapped.

Agreed the simplest is the crate engine. I would not pull an engine to reseal and poke back in unless I absolutely had to. When it's out, I'd probably do bearings/cam/heads etc.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It took me about 2 weeks just to do the harness on my other OBS LS swap. LOL. (I have the map and experience now though.)

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a response from BP, apparently the copy is old and the Vortec accessories will bolt right on. They are booked out for production until January, but Summit says they have one in stock. I think I'll just try Summit in a couple of months. Gotta get the C8 ready for my next track day and I have new pedals to put in Dodgey before I take on an engine swap.

In the meantime, I may try just slathering on a bunch of RTV. I think it's weeping out from the corners and not really any worse than it was before.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, the front cover actually leaks much less than expected and I haven't tried the external sealant hacks yet. It's good enough for who it's for, and on that subject the boy passed his test and is a licensed driver. Scares the **** out of me, but I'm happy for him.

So, to give him the best possible chances out there we swapped out the old mirror for a GMT800 mirror I got on eBay. The temperature and compass display work but seem to display garbage information. I don't care, not important right now, what is important is that you can see out of it. We also removed the old purple haze window tint that was on there. That was a unique smell hiding under there ... like moldy skunks on a cheese diet.

So, I think we're in a holding pattern as far engine work goes. After my track day next month, I think we'll have a go at trying to hide the rust spots with some fresh paint. I'll redo the whole AC system this spring if all goes well.

You must be registered for see images attach

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I did the brakes today. Everything went well until the test drive, didn't even make it 1 street. Brake pedal went to the floor. Limped back home and the front brakes are smoking. Not even 1/8th mile. Brake fluid is dumping out the driver's rear.

I dunno what I could have done wrong. I hate drums.