The Build of My $200 Dollar Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattbrat004

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Happy to say i've gotten pretty far on the bed now. I've been grinding it out for the past week. I sprayed some white primer over it today, going to go back over with 320, find anything i missed, spot prime, and then its 600 grit and off to get sealer.
You must be registered for see images attach

mattbrat004

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just what the teacher said. As a reference, he told me the process was:

Sand throughout with 180 and red scotchbrite over hard to reach areas.
Apply self etch primer to any bare metal surfaces
Follow immediately after self etch has cured with 3 heavy coats of primer
Sand with 320 to find any low or high spots
Spot prime over any sanded areas
Sand with 600 grit, followed immediately with primer sealer
After flash time for the sealer, spray with 3 coats base
Followed by 3 coats clear coat.

If you see anything iffy about those steps let me know.

Self etch:A411-4s Cromax
Primer used: 7701s cromax
Sealer: 422-51 nason
Paint: Nason 8626 Olympic white
Clear: 497-00 nason

(I am using nason products to keep coat low. I have a 50% off discount at o Reilly's)

Last edited:

laidbackbigun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
nothing really wrong with Nason product. I would probably go 40 to 180 self etch, sealer, high build
wet sand 400 to wet sand 600
enough coats of base for color coverage, no use in spraying more base color, it doesn't affect depth or anything.
then a dust coat clear to help adhesion then 3 to 4 medium wet.
wet sand 1000-1200-1500 buff and be done.

always do what the instructor says he is the one signing your papers, but remember there is always more than one way to skin a cat.

Also while he isn't looking between base and clear throw on a pearl coat ha!

mattbrat004

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
a little more progress today. I got the bed sanded down and ready for it to be spot primed over over the some glaze we put on. I started to tackle the tailgate today too. The tailgate handle is getting shaved, currently waiting on the kit to come in the mail. The tailgate is really bad. It looks like someone pushed the truck or something with another vehicle...there was a very large dent in the back around belt buckle height. i managed to get that pulled out with some wiggle wire and filled that over. Besides the big dent, it looks like someone went to it with a ball peen hammer. Well, when spring rolls around and this truck is all done, itll all make sense why i'm doing all this work. Cant wait to get back on the road and start cruising with some buddies again.

mattbrat004

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright, another update. I got the tailgate shaved, tacked in with some weldthrough primer. My helmet wasn't working, so i went and got another one. When i come back my classmate had ran a full bead all around the pocket. The heat warped the entire tailgate so badly that it feels like the Atlantic ocean. It warped straight through the body line on the top of the tailgate, and i cant seem to get the body line to come back up, even with the biggest slide hammer we have at the shop. It has high spots and low spots about a quarter inch deep. My instructor says there is no real way to fix it, and that i have the choice to either buy a new tailgate or slam a thick coat of mud on. what to do what to do.

mattbrat004

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've already got a rust free but dented tailgate lined up if need be. I'm gonna check the junkyards tomorrow for some cleaner ones. I would buy online, but i only will as a last resort. i need to get this truck done eventually. I was also peeking at some chinese copy tailgates that they have on ebay for like 90 bucks. has anyone ever used those?