The Build of My $200 Dollar Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattbrat004

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got the bed back in primer after bedlining the inside. The Bedliner will be painted white with the rest of the truck. I finished working out the bottom of the box again, as after I looked at it, both sides were different. I am painting the truck the original color as planned, but I am going to do a coat with pearl before clear. Picking up with paint this week. I start work on the cab tomorrow. Thanks for tuning in guys.

mattbrat004

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How many ounces of pearl should I get for a full paint job with pearl? Thanks guys

mattbrat004

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Started work on the cab today. Recleared all lenses. Paint on its way.
You must be registered for see images attach

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How many ounces of pearl should I get for a full paint job with pearl? Thanks guys
I can't tell you but I can say that too much and the white looks cloudy rather than classy. There is an import (I don't recall which one) that comes through our car wash that just looks dingy and it is only a couple of years old. As much as it saddens me to say this, the Toyota Prius has the nicest pearl white that I've seen. Every time one of the tree hugging, I'm an ex hippie mobiles comes in I feel so dirty checking out their paint...

mattbrat004

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Roof finished in primer, as well as the top cab corners. Pulled the doors off, and started some work on those. i got half of each door done so far. Also, i did pick up some new shoes for her too. i missed my steelies too much. they are 15x8 for the fronts and 15x10s for the rear.

dusterbd13

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can you give some detail pictures on your lower control arms and drop spindle setup? Ive heard very conflicting information about how it actually works, and would much rather see it for myself. Im also running camaro wheels and the pi did a 3/5, which is going 5/7.

mattbrat004

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The idea with going with a control arm setup vs springs and spindle setup is simple. A control arm setup is designed to lower the truck by lowering the pocket that the spring sits in. Djm also changed the ball joints to bolt in moog so they are replaceable. The ballpoints are also designed to reduce camber. By using the stock springs you can keep the stock spring rate for a more comfortable ride. Also, no trimming is required to fit 15s with the tubular ones. A downside to the control arms is that since the pocket is lower to the ground, it will scrape more. Another thing to keep in mind is that it did lower my truck 3 inches just from the control arms, I believe it had something to do with using original springs.

MYT HI

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
I dig this build reminds me of my 2000 I’ve had for almost a year. Except you get to drive yours haha.

Question for you, trying to fit a roll pan to my truck and I want to weld it on but my body man (my dad) says we shouldn’t. He thinks it’ll flex too much and crack the filler. My other draw back is it looks like it blocks the lower tailgate hinge bolts? Do you have that problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattbrat004

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sure! Well as for the hinge bolts, I did end up notching about a 1/4 inch out of the roll pan on each side to fit a wrench in. The flexing shouldnt be much of an issue as long as you aren't dragging it or only tack welding. As you've probably saw, I welded each side fully. Keep the filler thin as possible

mattbrat004

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alrighty guys, time to get back to work on here again. I've been insanely busy around the shop for the past two months. So here's an update for you guys. After my last post, i had sold my daily driver, and was looking for something to replace it. So i hopped on my craigslist and found this:
Of course i had to buy another one!! I'm convinced i have a problem with these things. This one is a 1993 model, 350 small block, nv4500 trans, w/ 4:10 gears, and the most important part, it doesnt have rot on the frame! 171,000 miles, with a receipt in the glovebox for a full transmission R&R. I bought this one running very rough, was only hitting on 6 cyls, and the thermostat was obviously stuck closed. About 50 dollars in parts and i had an amazingly running workhorse.

Warning, going off topic here for a bit

After i got settled in with this 2500, my buddy and i were set on getting him a new project car. We were looking long and hard for a 1989-1995 ford taurus sho. We managed to find one in oklahoma of all places, so we started on a 15 hour round trip.

It was wrecked pretty bad in the front, so this was my next project for a while, so i had to step away from the truck for a bit.

yeah, it needed a new support for sure.