The Blue Mule

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KyleV

Reaction score
Found my 91 Chevy 2500 Camper Special while driving to a car show about half an hour from home. The couple was selling this and a 92 crew cab GMC, both with a long bed. I was interested in either, preferably the crew cab since we're a family of three and we planning on getting a dog in the near future. We found the trucks for sale on Marketplace and went to check them out the next day.

When we got there, there was a guy already looking at the GMC, so I went to the Chevy and started looking over the truck for things like rust etc. It was in pretty solid shape all in all. The owner gave me a bit of history on it: he was the 2nd or 3rd owner, and he and his wife typically drove it on trips to the dump etc. The guy before him had drove it into a ditch, and so the front driver's side panel had been replaced, as well as work done on the tie rod for that wheel. The wife had also backed into a fire hydrant at a weird angle which had put a sizeable dent in the passenger door. There was also a good amount of paint and clear coat that had chipped or worn away over the years, but I was expecting that.

I popped the hood, and despite its scars on the outside, the 5.7 small block as in GREAT shape and clean, to boot. I asked if I could take it for a spin, and she started right up (coincidentally, the GMC was having trouble turning over, so I was happy that I hadn't spent time looking at it). On the test drive with my father in law, the trucked handled like a dream. There was some clanking from the rear end when shifting to reverse as well as when she shifted into different gears, all in all I was happy.

At $1600, I couldn't pass it up, so she came home with me, just in time for us to remodel our kitchen. We made our first dump run a few weeks later.

KyleV

Reaction score
I've got a lot of plans for the truck, here's what I'm thinking so far:

replace headliner and cloth liner on doors
home done paint job
take out plastic bed liner and do LineX sort of thing
LED headlights
LED lights on dash panel
New stereo or other mod
Solve the mystery clank (most likely u-joint)
General tune up
Running boards

KyleV

Reaction score
So far, I've changed the oil and polished the headlights so I can see mildly better at night now. I got some new used tires on Marketplace, pre mounted, and dumb ol me didn't pay attention to the size. So, the Blue Mule is riding on plain white 15s instead of the shiny 17s that are in my profile pic.

Also changed the read diff oil and gasket. It was leaking pretty good; the RTV sealant that the last guy used was cracking in places. I opted for a cork gasket instead, and actually scraped a bit of RTV out from inside the diff, too. There was only about 1.5 qts in there when I drained it, but the oil wasn't in bad shape, and I couldn't see any metal shavings floating around or on the magnet at the bottom of it. Got the new one on and no leaks after a week! Feeling pretty proud of myself, first time I had done that. I meant to paint the cover while I had it off, but I was also replacing a broken lug nut that day and was running out of daylight. Next time!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Did you spin the yoke back and forth by hand to check for differential slack? Both of my trucks have slack in the differential itself, meaning they're both worn but they both still lock. It's easy to forget about. On my 88 that had an open diff I had to replace the spider/side gears to get rid of the slop/clunk. My 2 current trucks will both need new carriers unfortunately. I'm curious what configuration the camper special came in?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Congrats. Looks like you got a good deal. I didn't know the Camper Special came on the GMT400s. I thought it was only on the square bodies?

This a 6 lug 2500? Can't tell too well from your Avatar pic.

KyleV

Reaction score
Did you spin the yoke back and forth by hand to check for differential slack? Both of my trucks have slack in the differential itself, meaning they're both worn but they both still lock. It's easy to forget about. On my 88 that had an open diff I had to replace the spider/side gears to get rid of the slop/clunk. My 2 current trucks will both need new carriers unfortunately. I'm curious what configuration the camper special came in?

Good question! When I had swapped over to winter tires on different rims I played around with the yoke and other bits, and I havent heard the clanking since then (about 3 months) so not sure if it was just something being slightly off something else. I'm gonna keep an ear out for it and keep this in mind!

KyleV

Reaction score
Congrats. Looks like you got a good deal. I didn't know the Camper Special came on the GMT400s. I thought it was only on the square bodies?

This a 6 lug 2500? Can't tell too well from your Avatar pic.

I did a little more research, and it's not a true "camper special" but sort of a heavy half-ton. 2500, but 6 lug. rear end is a 9.5" which is slightly larger than the 1500, but not as big as the full 2500. Going off of this, anyway 1991-Chevrolet-Truck-PCK-1.pdf (gmheritagecenter.com)