That hand-me-down '96 again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rob13

Reaction score
Okay, thought maybe this would be the best place to get feedback whenever I run into an issue getting this thing back as close to 100% as I can:

1996 ECSB Silverado
4.3l Vortec / 4L60E

Done so far:
New idler pulley
New belt tensioner pulley
New spark plugs & wires
New distributor cap & rotor
New ECT & t-stat
New fuel filter
Recharged AC

Needs done:
Alignment & new tires
Inspect transmission (was low on fluid as of July 17)
Inspect brake system
Inspect fuel pump
Replace coolant temp sensor
Align doors
Replace driver side ext. door handle
Paint

You must be registered for see images
Christine Cropped
by rob 13, on Flickr

Rob13

Reaction score
Well, to be fair, the brakes as of today are fine. By “inspect” i mean take stock of the condition of the pads/rotors & replace as necessary. Are the GMT800 master cylinders a huge upgrade?

Rob13

Reaction score
So, added a bit of transmission fluid (actually, 3qts!) & everything seems to be working MUCH better now (go figure!). In fact, the cruise control started working again today.

Gonna try to fix the external driver side door handle soon, and an alignment before the end of the summer. After that, cool weather cruisin’ is the plan. Fingers crossed!

Her “good side”:
You must be registered for see images
Christine
by rob 13, on Flickr

Rob13

Reaction score
The whole truck is going to be painted. The turn signals & corners are being replaced soon, too. But I understand what you’re saying.

Rob13

Reaction score
Took the truck out for a 50m round trip last night. CEL came on about 5 miles from the house, but once I put some gas in the tank & really cranked down on the gas cap, the light went off (it's an emissions evap code). Otherwise, the truck drove great, despite the janky alignment. This weekend I should be bringing it up to the shop I work for so one of my shop guys can look at the front end & start work on fixing what needs fixed.

In other news, the wife's Grand Marquis is idling rough, so this weekend I also get to diagnose & fix that. Hoping it's just the MAF, but we'll see.

Rob13

Reaction score
Took the truck over to my buddy’s last night where we aimed the headlights after fixing the grill (clip wasn’t seated right & the grill was loose). We also adjusted the driver side door some.

Tonight I figure out why my corners aren’t working & look at trans fluid (again).

Rob13

Reaction score
Got the corners sorted, trans fluid looks/smells okay, too. However, apparently at some point in the past, the rear bumper was replaced. I went the the parts store to buy license plate light bulbs since i noticed one was out & was told “Sylvania 194’s”...but that doesn’t match what’s in there. Found a sticker with some aftermarket company’s name & address on it. I think the bulbs are the same as the turn signal bulbs up front. Dunno, to tired to continue tonight. Another day.