Tbi to carburetor help needed ( not worth keeping ) for what i am doing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mr mike

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tbi to carburetor help needed

So long story short
I decided one day to hop on craigslist and ended up buying another truck kind of on a whim.
For the price why not $900
It is a 1947 international Harvester KB. It's sitting on S 10 frame which is kind of nice cause parts are cheap.
Now to the motor questions.........
I believe he told me it was a
(1994 ?i think ) Chevy Caprice 350 tbi and has a 700r4 with it.
I want to get rid of the TBI for couple reasons I have no wiring harness, no computer, no fuel system and no gauges in the dash
Plus he gave me an Ellerbrock performer intake and carb that he was going to install on it.
So I know I have to ditch the TBI distributor that's in it now.
What kind of distributor am I going to need to run in this motor
(( is it the HEI with the big coil sitting on top and that Little vacuum thing hanging off the side))
And with the stock heads still on it
What is the absolute largest cam I could run in this Motor that has the roughest idol. I will be putting a loud timing gear drive in it just for more obnoxious noise and running open headers dumped right in front of the doors
Thanks for all your help guys.

the new toy

if any one can tell me what rear this is let me know i think it ford but i dount know how to tell if its a 9"

You must be registered for see images attach

and if you don't know what it looks like it will look something like this when its all back together

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Looks like an older 9" ford.

http://www.hot-rod.com.au/builder/technineinch.html

The "hood" over the pinion indicates a date range, I just can't recall what it is.

You've got quite a junkyard dog there so it is possible its an 8" ford. The link above shows you how to tell the difference.

From what I can see in the pic though, i 'd say its a 9" from around the 70-80's range.

Last edited:

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
Looks like a 9" to me.

A single wire HEI distributer will be your best bet.

I don't think the TBI heads can handle a big lift can, maybe 472 lift. If you swap in vortex heads you could get up to 500 with the right springs and machining of the valve spring seats. Since the motor is out of a caprice, it should be a roller can as well.

Sent from Robl@and!