Tbi chips(jet and Hypertech)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Nothing beats actual tuning, in person, on a dyno. Second best is a mail order that ball parks it based on your setup. Worst is wasting time on jet or hypertech chips.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If you're in Colorado Springs Rocky Mountain Competitive Research could get you squared away, but nothing is cheap in this town.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It'll get tuned eventually. I'll either go with an ebl flash unit & do it myself with help from some of the forums or I'll go see the guy I mentioned earlier & find out for myself if he's any good. But for the time being I don't want the truck making more power than it does now. At least not until I find a nv4500 to put in place of the hm290. I'd even settle for a later model nv3500 that's at least slightly easier to rebuild.
TBI does have PE mode, but idk how it compares to the vortec PE mode.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I run the EBLFlash and swear by it. Running an LT1 roller cam, I tuned it to get about 22mpg. And more HP too of course. I recently built a 383 for it and just had to retune it, but it's not really that hard. All the sending away for chips is rediculous. Even burning your own chips and swapping them is a PITA. With the EBL, all you do is hook your laptop to it, set it to learn, and go drive. After a while, you pull over, flash the tune in (one button) and drive away. In the beginning you'll have to do this multiple times as your O2 sensor doesn't have enough bandwidth to make it a one time thing, but it's still faster and easier than any other method, and your tune is a lot closer to optimum than any mail order tune will ever be.

OH, and I'd go with the T-56 tranny. You can easily tow with it.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Rockland makes a T56 with a t case adapter. I think the adapter was $700 to add yourself but don't quote me.

88monteSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I run the EBLFlash and swear by it. Running an LT1 roller cam, I tuned it to get about 22mpg. And more HP too of course. I recently built a 383 for it and just had to retune it, but it's not really that hard. All the sending away for chips is rediculous. Even burning your own chips and swapping them is a PITA. With the EBL, all you do is hook your laptop to it, set it to learn, and go drive. After a while, you pull over, flash the tune in (one button) and drive away. In the beginning you'll have to do this multiple times as your O2 sensor doesn't have enough bandwidth to make it a one time thing, but it's still faster and easier than any other method, and your tune is a lot closer to optimum than any mail order tune will ever be.

OH, and I'd go with the T-56 tranny. You can easily tow with it.

I haven't touched my TBI truck in a while, but I looked at their site today, looks like they've made it pretty easy since the last time I looked at them.

I looked into swapping to a t56, but it's expensive to do that with 4wd.

Rockland makes a T56 with a t case adapter. I think the adapter was $700 to add yourself but don't quote me.

I talked to them a few years ago, their t56 was around $6k then IIRC, IDK how much they sell just the adapter for. Would be fun to do a divorced AWD case though.