TBI Chip Tuning/Availability in 2018

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm slowly creeping up to the point of performance on my truck. After installing my 4" lift kit, 32s and some other small things I'm planning to focus entirely on the engine, transmission and rear end. I'm looking to throw in a Summit K1102 cam/lifter kit in the engine, do the "Ultimate TBI Mods" as well, along with deleting the EGR while I'm in the engine. I'll be ultimately running 4.10 gears once everything is said and done, so I'd like to get a chip burned for my setup. I'm curious as to who is available to do this in 2018, I've seen tons of ancient/dead threads about tuning but only a couple seem to be around (one of which is TBIchips, which I've seen/read enough horror stories to make me want to go carb'd before taking a tune from them).

So my question is who still does TBI tuning? I don't have access to a laptop nor do I really have all that technical experience and math skills required to read logs and make adjustments on my own, so I'm avoiding doing the DIY stuff. If I had to go DIY, I'd rather work with a carburetor and HEI setup over PCM/chip burning anyways. Any ideas?

Stokes1114

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's a very easy combo to tune, and if you don't want to learn and do it yourself I would go to gearhead-efi.com and contact Dave w. He will do very very good for you.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
It’s not that I wouldn’t be okay with learning it, I just want to get a good chip that will run and drive good in the truck. This truck went from being a full blown performance truck to a little workhorse. Maybe in the future I’ll learn TBI chip burning and emulation but until then I just want to have all my ducks in a row before doing cam changes and such

Stokes1114

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would definitely contact Dave w like I mentioned. He can remote time for you as well. Honestly the truck is going to run well enough on the stock chip, but tuning will make it optimal.

JasonG

Reaction score
Hey nightrunner looking to do the same to my truck wondering if you had any luck. What did you decide to do?

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
I actually ended up plateauing on the build itself and got caught up in some stuff at home and work. I can't really say much about it but the dynamic at work has severely changed and layoffs or a full on shutdown could be imminent so I've been keeping my mod money set aside just in case I need that extra boost of income if SHTF.

I did check out Gearhead EFI, and I think I spoke to Dave about my goals and he came off as a stand up guy. Had a ton of positive reviews on the board and I definitely wouldn't hesitate to get a chip burned from him.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Hm. I tried emailing him to get a nice chip for my Fireturd and never heard back from him...