Tail gate banner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Damn that looks amazing!
Thanks. I will eventually get the rims to shine like the tailgate banner. The center cap is easy, but the aluminum rims will take more work. I will have to buff them out with a die grinder, some cotton buffs, and some triple-e then some white buffing compound. I will post a pic of what I am using later. I am at work now and my stuff is at home

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well the weather was finally good enough today for me to paint my letters. Here is a finished pic. You can see the reflection of the picket fence gate leading into my back yard, along with the post ect.
You must be registered for see images attach

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Details of what I did. Stripped off the clear coat and paint with some paint stripper after tapping and hews papering off the white paint. I removed the stripper as per directions on the can of aircraft paint stripper I bought at Orileys. Once all was dry and clean, and all the tape and paper was removed, I used tripoli compound on a small air buff. After that then I used white jewelers rouge on a new buff with the same die grinder. Then once that was done, I finished up the shine with 3 or 4 coats of white diamond metal polish. This not only brings out the mirror shine, but also helps protect the aluminum from oxidation some what. It will need to be reapplied every few months to keep up the mirror shine. When ever I wax my truck will be fine. As for the paint, I taped the letters off, and used an exacto knife to get the trim rite. Then put the news paper over the white. I applied 2 coats of primer after I wiped the metal down with alcohol and that dried. All primer and paint coats were applied in thin layers and allowed to dry between coats. After priming I then applied 5 coats of paint. Again these were thin coats allowing the coats to dry. On the last coat, I let it sit for about 45 mins before I removed the paper and tape being careful to pull the tape away from the painted letters, so not to pull of the fresh paint.

Last edited: