Tail light/ brake light woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BP Hopkins

Reaction score
Hello, 1st post here. 92 c3500 standard cab dually with a 5.7 tbi and a sm465.
I recently got the truck going and noticed some janky wiring to an aftermarket trailer brake controller. I deleted it and all the associated wiring all the way to the back of the truck. I THOUGHT I had the wiring back like factory…. But now my tail lights stay on as long as the stop fuse is in the truck. Without the stop fuse the tail lights and blinkers work correctly but no brake lights. I’m working with about 1-1/2 hours of daylight after work every day so right now I’m just looking for some direction. Thanks in advance for any and all comments, positive or negative. Thanks, Brandon

Jroctizzle

Reaction score
Seems like the lights are connected to the battery and bypassing the ignition source. The blinkers and tail lights are on the same circuit as the dash lights and running lights in the front, if it’s the same as my truck. I’m guessing there’s an issue ahead of the fuse box that’s causing the constant power.

BP Hopkins

Reaction score
So… the bungee cord was because the brake switch wasn’t clicked into the square hole keeper thing. I changed the switch anyway, the switch wiring plug had been cut, wires twisted and black taped. I fixed all that with butt splices and heat shrink. Adjusted the switch and now I have working brake lights, taillights and blinkers! Thanks for the help. That’s it for this issue/ thread. I have been putting in some work on the truck ( interior freshen up) and will be doing more to the exterior. I will probably take some Pictures and put it in a project thread, just in case anybody might be interested. Thanks again, Brandon

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
So… the bungee cord was because the brake switch wasn’t clicked into the square hole keeper thing. I changed the switch anyway, the switch wiring plug had been cut, wires twisted and black taped. I fixed all that with butt splices and heat shrink. Adjusted the switch and now I have working brake lights, taillights and blinkers! Thanks for the help. That’s it for this issue/ thread. I have been putting in some work on the truck ( interior freshen up) and will be doing more to the exterior. I will probably take some Pictures and put it in a project thread, just in case anybody might be interested. Thanks again, Brandon
Good to hear you got this sorted. Yes we love build threads here!

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will probably take some Pictures and put it in a project thread, just in case anybody might be interested
Brandon, you should start a build thread. If you’re going to be resurrecting a truck from a salvage yard people are going to want to see you save it.