Sylvania Zevo LED lights, anyone use them?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The SRCK bulbs are absolutely necessary for anyone wanting to use LEDs in the middle socket of the stock tail lights with the circuit boards. If you don't have the circuit boards, you don't need SRCKs.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I admit I'm a bit confused by all this.

I'm toying with the idea of replacing halogen bulbs in my stock tail light housings in my '97 with these Philips LEDs:

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-1284...d=1524475150&sr=1-4&keywords=philips+3157+led

Are there going to be issues with these?

Yes.

Like I said above, if you have stock tail lights and want to use LEDs, you need SRCK LEDs for the middle sockets. Like these.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/tail-brake-turn/filter/Stock_Numbers,3157-SRCK,197,9760:

MatSLO

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Only for the middle sockets?
So I can use Philips in top ones?
Or is it perhaps better then to just use the SRCK type in all sockets?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Only for the middle sockets?
So I can use Philips in top ones?
Or is it perhaps better then to just use the SRCK type in all sockets?

Only the middle sockets need to be SRCK. The Philips should work fine in the top.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@MatSLO I just searched the Amazon reviews on those Philips LEDs you posted and there's a few people saying they work in SRCK sockets. So the Philips might actually work for all sockets. Strange that they're not labeled as SRCK compatible in the listing, though.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
They sure seem pricey for the reviews that say they're not very bright.

It's hard to get LED replacements that are bright enough to be useful. Nighttime can be OK with most, but in daylight use those same ones can be difficult to see. Haven't tried the Zevos myself, and probably won't.

Richard

MatSLO

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm drawn to Philips bulbs because the reviews on them were generally quite positive.
Additionally, it's a brand name and although one should not trust big brands blindly, usually they do offer quality products. Judging by my own experience with household lighting (halogens in the past, now switching to mostly LED), I've had good experience with brands like Philips and Osram. No-name cheaper products can be remarkably good, too - but only sometimes; "statistically" one stands a better chance of getting a quality product when buying from reputable big brands. (YMMV)

Another bonus is that while Philips LEDs are quite pricey on Amazon or Ebay, I can also get them from Rockauto which not only has them much cheaper, but I can also combine with some other parts I might need from Rockauto and reduce my shipping costs. Note that I'm in Europe and 3157 bulbs are almost impossible to find here, I must order them online from the USA.

Strouty

Reaction score
I ended up ordering the Zevo ambers and I do not understand the design thought process. As others have said, they only shine light backwards. On top of that, they are not even DOT legal for street usages. I am glad that I didn’t dump more money on them, will be returning them to amazon.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Yup, completely backwards. I don't know what Sylvania was thinking! This design is weird.

It's just like their other LEDs. I bought some 1156 regular LEDs and they shine to the sides and not the front...