Swamp Hound's 1997 Yukon Z71 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
FIFY = fixed it for you. I quoted his post, but also edited the content of his post. Reread both and you'll see.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
FIFY = fixed it for you. I quoted his post, but also edited the content of his post. Reread both and you'll see.
For some reason I wasn't able to put that together even though I've used that before myself lol. Thanks.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
Just got back from the shop. Should let me know in the next day or so how my little plan will be executed. The plan (for now) is to get a new long block from summit, then put a 395 cam, upgraded valve springs and 1.6 rockers in it. Drop freshened engine into truck, drive home and enjoy. Only flaw in the plan being that the shop who will install the engine, may not wanna put the cam etc in it. That's what I'm waiting to find out.

ChristGilley

GMT400less GMT400 Member
Reaction score
If they don't wanna put all the extra stuff on it, I'd have them put the motor in and you and someone else put the rest in. Should be badass when it gets done

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
It is not very difficult to swap cams. It is all nuts and bolts and parts. You put that superlift under your rig IIRC, so you absolutely have the capacity to do the work. The only hard part for a first timer is setting the valves. Just saying.

Another option would be to find out who builds the engines for dirt track and drag cars around you. There has to be at least one within 50 miles of you. Like one that has 880 blocks ready or nearly ready to go, where you could have them assemble a shortblock, stick in your supplied 395 cam, replace the timing cover, reassemble the top end, and crate it up.

Last edited:

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Just got back from the shop. Should let me know in the next day or so how my little plan will be executed. The plan (for now) is to get a new long block from summit, then put a 395 cam, upgraded valve springs and 1.6 rockers in it. Drop freshened engine into truck, drive home and enjoy. Only flaw in the plan being that the shop who will install the engine, may not wanna put the cam etc in it. That's what I'm waiting to find out.

Sounds identical to my plan; expect I'll just be rebuilding my block with high quality internals. That said, I think outside of getting it running again (including transmission), I am pretty much on the same boat (enjoy it). I won't be putting anymore money into this truck.

I'm shopping for either a RCSB NBS (04-06) or a Fox Body Mustang (90-93) LS Swap; applications will be turbo, shooting for 600whp/tq.

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
Ok. Couple months later, the truck is finally getting some work. Ditched the built 350 idea in favor of a very vanilla crate motor. Would rather put the money towards the SAS and take advantage of the warranty for a short while. Also, the stock trans has 220k on it, so it's only a matter of time before it goes. No use in putting a warmed up engine in front of it for the time being. Once the SAS is done and squared away, trans replaced with some beef and school payed for, I'll tear down the engine for cam etc. probably be next spring or summer. (Hey, that's exactly what I said last spring, and the spring before last!)