Suspension lift on 1998 sierra Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stevie loks

Reaction score
Sup fellas,

Im new here. So, i just got an 1998 sierra Z71. I want to do the RCx suspension lift 6"

1) i want to go with 17" maybe 16" rims. What size tires would you fellas recommend 35" - 37"

2) Do i need to upgrade anything when going 6" lift on 35" - 37" tires?

Thanx

You must be registered for see images attach

NorthTexasDylan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't wait to see it. I am wondering the same thing. I am adding 37's to my lift kit with a body lift. Only thing I am worried about now is how the transmission and rear end are going to hold up to the larger tires.

green98

Reaction score
I just got a 6" rcx and 315/75/16 tires (about a 35) last week. I'm happy with the stance, worried 37s might be a little tight without trimming. I barely have 4" between tires and the bottom of front fenders.

D_EATON

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A 6" suspension is good for up to 35's depending on rim width and offset and add a 3" body lift to that and you can get 37's. To help the trans out most people will regear, commonly recommend is 4.56 with 35 and 4.88 with 37 now that can change a little depending on how or where u drive the truck. Other things to think about are quality u joints and front end components, pitman arm, idler arm, ball joints and tie rod ends, the normal wear parts. Very common question with lots of answers on here if you search around you will find more out.

Welcome to the forum

6" bds suspension with torsion bars as low as they go and a 3" body lift with 16" rims and 315/75/16 aka 35/12.50

You must be registered for see images attach

green98

Reaction score
Math's says if you have 4" now, and you take away one, then you have 3"
Then factor rim offset, wheel turning vs straight, and suspension movement that inch might be a factor. I was able to smack 265/75/16s into the top of my front fender openings before the lift due to wheel offset. Every truck clears a little differently.

whiplash473

Tyler
Reaction score
Sup fellas,

Im new here. So, i just got an 1998 sierra Z71. I want to do the RCx suspension lift 6"

1) i want to go with 17" maybe 16" rims. What size tires would you fellas recommend 35" - 37"

2) Do i need to upgrade anything when going 6" lift on 35" - 37" tires?

Thanx

Unless you find some miraculous offset that's just right, you won't fit 37s with a Rough Country kit. With a full-drop kit, yes, but an RCX 6" is only a 5.25" drop. I mean you'll fit it, but it's gonna be pretty bad in terms of turning and any off-roading without trimming.

Since it's a 1/2ton, I'm assuming you don't have a 4.11 gear ratio, without at least that the truck is gonna be a dog.

16" wheel is fine but it's really just preference, I never liked the "doughnut" look.