SUMMIT TURBO MUFFLER (I NEED REVIEWS)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zackyg

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
im am doing a set summit long headers with a dual exhaust kit. Has anyone had, used, or heard any SUMMIT TURBO MUFFLERS or read reviews for them and know if they sound good or not? My truck is a 88 305tbi short bed regular cab

zackyg

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
also is there a big difference between 3inch and 2 1/4 inch pipes

freightshaker203

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea the smaller pipe will give u the popping sound 3" is a deeper note..IMO I can't stand the poppy sound to me it sounds cheap

chevy_man

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used one of their cheap alumanized "glasspacks" (it was packed with steel) and it's held up good, not rusting out or anything. Can't ask for more for the $20 it cost me.

However, I can't comment on the sound, never heard one of their mufflers myself.

And I would keep it 3" if that's what you have. Unless you're doing true duals w/2 1/4" you're going to add a restriction. Brian at tbichips.com did a dyno test and gained power just by swapping from the y-pipe back on a mild tbi 350. Therefore, I'd suggest not adding any more restriction, as the factory y-pipe is plenty. And if you're re-doing the exhaust, getting a mandrel bent y-pipe will give you a couple HP.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have them on my '78. I really like the sound much better than the flowmaster 40 that were on it. It still has a nice deep sound at idle almost like the flows but is much quieter driving down the road with no drone. I like them a lot and will probably put one on my Z71 soon.

The '78 has a pretty healthy .060 over 350 with 3/4 length headers and 2.5" pipes turned down before the axle. It's still a little loud so it will get tail pipes some day. I could get a video of it, but its not going to sound anything like it would on a stock 305 with manifolds and cats....

Last edited:

Vigh_J

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have them on my '78. I really like the sound much better than the flowmaster 40 that were on it. It still has a nice deep sound at idle almost like the flows but is much quieter driving down the road with no drone. I like them a lot and will probably put one on my Z71 soon.

The '78 has a pretty healthy .060 over 350 with 3/4 length headers and 2.5" pipes turned down before the axle. It's still a little loud so it will get tail pipes some day. I could get a video of it, but its not going to sound anything like it would on a stock 305 with manifolds and cats....

Just do it mmkay.

zackyg

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the feedback bluex. from what i have read they are quiet for most of the young guys like me? i want it to be fairly quiet when just driving around, but i want it to sound good and loud when i get on it, will this happen with the summit turbo mufflers. its gonna be dual 2 1/4 inch pipes ou of summit headers and no cats

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just do it mmkay.

Will try when I get up tomorrow, it will just be in the driveway though since it has a flat I wont have time to do one driving.....

thanks for the feedback bluex. from what i have read they are quiet for most of the young guys like me? i want it to be fairly quiet when just driving around, but i want it to sound good and loud when i get on it, will this happen with the summit turbo mufflers. its gonna be dual 2 1/4 inch pipes ou of summit headers and no cats

If your going to run headers and no cats I would think it would be loud enough. But when I was 21 I was all about flowmaster 40's for the loudest sound I could get without the popping. I'm currently tone deaf at whatever frequency they make at 2k rpms from DD my '78 with those mufflers. I dont like all the noise and drone from them while crusing anymore. I'm not sure the sound your looking for, but a turbo muffler will do what you are describing. The 2 1/4 pipes shouldnt give you the popping sound, that comes more from the monster tips people use and sometimes mufflers.....

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just do it mmkay.

Here is the video. I waited till today and threw and old tire/rim on it so I could drive it around the block. It dosent sound all that great to me all I can hear is the stupid gear drive....

You must be registered for see images attach

It sounds much better in person. Guess I need to find someone with a real video camera, I took that with my phone. The engine is a .060 over 350, flat top pistions, summit cam thats 224/224 @ .050, stupid gear drive, edelbrock performer rpm intake and 1406 carb, 3/4 length chevelle headers 1 5/8 to 2.5, then 2.5 dual piping with the summit turbos all the way to the axle where its dumped. It also has a 700R4 and a 3.73 rear that wasnt setup right which is the whining under decel....

Last edited:

93SierraWT

Greater Made Chevy
Reaction score
Here is the video. I waited till today and threw and old tire/rim on it so I could drive it around the block. It dosent sound all that great to me all I can hear is the stupid gear drive....

You must be registered for see images attach

It sounds much better in person. Guess I need to find someone with a real video camera, I took that with my phone. The engine is a .060 over 350, flat top pistions, summit cam thats 224/224 @ .050, stuipd gear drive, edelbrock performer rpm intake and 1406 carb, 3/4 length chevelle headers 1 5/8 to 2.5, then 2.5 dual piping all the way to the axle where its dumped. It also has a 700R4 and a 3.73 rear that wasnt setup right which is the whining under decel....

That sounds amazing.