Stepside Bed Rail Repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S1I2F3

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it! I think I might get a set to test fit, sounds like it may be close enough to work.

Vern167

Reaction score
Not much left of the front panel where the bed rail spots onto it... another piece on the "To Do" list...
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a similar situation in need of some help, I have a 1994 Chevy GMT-400 Stepside with bed rails and a portion of the inside bed cutout. Any suggestions how to repair?

Vern167

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words.. appreciate it ... the Step Side rails were just a bit wider.. maybe not quite 1/2 inch. but it's not too far from it.. if you decide to graft fleet side rails.. be sure to leave some of your original SS rail .. you can always trim to fit.. (is exactly what I did) until you are comfortable with how much meat you will have to weld the donor pieces in.. I have a set of aluminum rails that bolt to the bed rails.. I'm kind of undecided if I want to install them.. if I think about it.. I'll snap a pic of them I believe they would of fit Fleet or Step side beds.. I don't believe the difference would stop you from installing them... Cheers..
Can you provide me with the info or pics of the aluminum rails that bolt?

ddaxe

If it don't go... chrome it..!!
Reaction score
oh.. looks like your going down the same rabbit hole I did.. be sure to leave yourself some extra "meat" from your donor rails... you can always keep trimming to fit.. I'll have to take a pic of those aluminum rails..

Vern167

Reaction score
oh.. looks like your going down the same rabbit hole I did.. be sure to leave yourself some extra "meat" from your donor rails... you can always keep trimming to fit.. I'll have to take a pic of those aluminum rails..

I really would appreciate it because I got a lot of other work to do as well because my passenger side cab corner got to be cut out and replaced as well. But, I’m taking it one project at a time.

ddaxe

Reaction score
yes.. take your time.. you will get there.. took me about 2 months of pretty steady work of about 15-20 hrs a week...

Vern167

Reaction score
yes.. take your time.. you will get there.. took me about 2 months of pretty steady work of about 15-20 hrs a week...

Yeah, but it runs like a champ. But, there is still so much, I want to do. However, my main concern are those rails and the inside bed panels being exposed. I need to get it fixed and sealed asap. Because, I don’t want to take on too much water and risk water damage.

ddaxe

Reaction score
I hear ya.. most definitely ... I never did put those aluminum rails on mine.. they were for more or less tying stuff into the bed... not for taking the place of the original rails.. for that.. I cut rails off a fleet side ...

ddaxe

Reaction score
Beautiful truck, I have a question where did you order the bed supports from?

Tks.. I ordered the middle (between wheel wells) crossers from a fleet side ... they are the right length at 49"... good luck with your project