Stepside Bed Rail Repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ddaxe

If it don't go... chrome it..!!
Reaction score
Hello All... Tks for the add into the forum.. Let me introduce my self.. my name is Darin, I have been in the car building hobby many many years.. having rebuilt everything from Vettes & Camaros.. to mid 50's & Square body Chevy p/u's... though I work on trains for living... this is my 1st GMT400 build.. but my years of experience have lent well to this build... so far.. I always like to research whatever I'm doing.. so as to have a plan.. and not butcher it together... which leads me to starting this thread...
I'm currently building a 90's single cab short box stepside 2500 4x4 with a 454.. now many will say GM never build one.. and while this is true... I managed to gather all the parts to make it so.. after extensive mod's... I have the front suspension tucked in nicely.. 6' lift n all... it wasn't easy.. but the chassis is complete.. (basically what I did was meld 2 chassis' together.. a 2500 front section & a stepside rear)
Now since I'm well into the body work... I have searched the web in vain to see if any one has replaced the top bed rails.. to no avail... what I have done is salvaged some rails off a fleetside.. with the intention of grafting them in... I have replace the front bed top rail.. quite successfully.. using a repurposed piece off a fleetside bed as well... I will document the progress in this thread.. so as to aid anyone else who has the dreaded top rail rot that was common with the stepside... with very limited parts availability... the task can be daunting... I'm sure I'll run into some snags along the way.. as I've noticed some challenges after poking through the rust to see just how they were built...
I apologize if there is a thread here discussing the same... though it doesn't hurt to have another.. as I tell apprentices who work with me...there's always more than one way to add up to 7...
Cheers....
You must be registered for see images attach

ddaxe

Reaction score
Tks...this forum is a great resource for advice... I may start a "My Build" thread as I have taken a lot of pics of my progress...

ddaxe

Reaction score
The repurposed rails that were cut from a fleet side bed ... I've separated the inside rail from the outer... after drilling about 30 spot welds in each.. they come apart pretty easy... they should do the trick with a bit of modifying...

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Looks good.man! This is a problem I've faced myself. Be sure to do a build thread on the whole truck!

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

ddaxe

Reaction score
Looks good.man! This is a problem I've faced myself. Be sure to do a build thread on the whole truck!

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Tks THZ.... ya.. I will do a build thread.. later.. most SS beds I see in my area are all rusted.. some worse than other... I think mine is not too far gone.... I still have something to work with.. Canadian winters are hard on vehicles...

ddaxe

Reaction score
Alrighty... I started digging into one of the top rails.. let me say.. it wasn't pretty.. who ever tried to fix it before did a butcher job on it... and should never be let near a can of body filler.. or a mig welder.. for that matter.. What I don't get.. its just as much work to fix it wrong as right... oh well... I should of known

The 1st section I opened up shows how much crap is really in there... but it gets better....

Last edited:

ddaxe

Reaction score
I've seen this from time to time... glad I didn't have a fire from cutting .... could of been a PITA check out the pail of goodies... that's a lot of scale... and the old rail resting on the SMC fender grrrrr

ddaxe

Reaction score
Ultimately... this is what you should end up with... I will have to replace a section of the inside panel.. about 3-4 inches of it... there's a difference of a 1/2 inch in width between the step side bed rail and a fleet side rail, so while replacing some of the inner panel, I will add in the difference
sounds good in theory.. lol...

Last edited:

ddaxe

Reaction score
Not much left of the front panel where the bed rail spots onto it... another piece on the "To Do" list...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk