starting problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so i just did an engine swap
have engine in, almost everything connected, aside from plugs, dist,, alt, powersteering and radiator
trying to get to top dead center, so tried tapping key, all I get is one click, starter engages flywheel, but doesnt spin, have to turn engine over manualy to get it to go back in, tried shims, checked battery
is there something Im missing, do i need to just get top dead center manualy, and hook everything up, and then it will spin when it engages?
I had 2 starters, the first one is reading fail when i tested it at auto zone, and it was just working a week ago, the other is new, and worked a few days ago

hiredgun8

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did this "new" starter come from autozone as well?.
Their starter and alts. are notoriously bad. Could be you got a bad one.

dropped93

I want one of everything
Reaction score
Grounds are common, tht was my issue. Also just had a pos battery cable on a 98 with this symptom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
checked starts, may try rebuilding the one, not sure if bendix works, hard to get wire in there, but it spins, other one works
turned out when i messed with the batterys positive connection, was connecting one cable, but not the other, put it back how it was before, and it works, may change out cables later, bolts stripped, but working for now
now i just have to finish putting back together

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
Can we get more details on the swap? Is there any chance you put on a standard starter instead of a high-torque one. I did that once on an '85 that was getting swapped with a L31. I tried to use the stock starter from the '85 engine and it did the exact same thing. I tried the starter from my Tahoe just for kicks and it fired up perfectly.

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i got it working kinda
had to set it up with how i pulled it, engine was out of an 89 c1500, the starter is bigger then what was in my 95 k1500
now both have had previous engine swaps, so not sure which is the stock one
the starter also had 2 big shims, tried with no shims, and it wouldnt work, was grinding, now it works with the shims, but after taking the truck around the block, and trying to start again, it was grinding, had to loosen, and re tighten while trying to keep it square, not sure if you noramly have to do that, but apprentyl one of the starter bolt had been broken off, so now it has a bolt welded in place, and i dont think its as tight as the right bolt, not sure if i need a sleeve or something for the bolt, i feel like either when driving, or starting, it must move the starter out of square, or the flywheel is warped

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
The smaller starters are the hi-torque ones. Go figure. I had a '85 with a warped flexplate and every few cranks I had to get under the truck and turn the flexplate by hand a quarter turn. I still have nice indention's in my hands from the ring gear!

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
Word, check the starter with a pair of jumper cables and a hot battery youself.

Everyone should try this first before installing a starter. I have changed out so many starters that I now do it by habit at the store parking lot. I just set it on the ground and jump it with jumper cables.