Starting my body lift, anyone who's done it before I have a few questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Funny... I don't remember doing anything with the linkage on mine and I did PA accessories... anyone else? Am I just not remembering something that I did?

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
tons said they did not need it, instructions tell you where to cut then weld in the extension.

I never done one, wanted one, never got it, read the instructions online a few times.

ridiqls

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
tons said they did not need it, instructions tell you where to cut then weld in the extension.

I never done one, wanted one, never got it, read the instructions online a few times.

Yeah so I pulled up the PA instructions and also got the Zone Offroad one to compare cause they're all the same stuff essentially. I got confused cause some of the guides I read didnt mention welding.
But I found out that the PA kit is for 88-94. Not 88-98 as I had assumed like most parts. They don't really explain but the Zone Offroad manual says this:

You must be registered for see images attach

Sooo apparently I was trying to follow the PA manual and also one of the write ups in the sticky and got confused. I guess my car doesn't have a cable. I thought it was strange cause I traced that shift linkage rod from the steering column all the way back to the tranny but I thought maybe there were two or something IDK, still learning about cars.

This is what PA manual says for my kit regarding the automatic transmission (88-94):

Says to cut it somewhere and weld it..?

Then to install it back

It involves welding and cutting the rod I guess which is something I do not want to do, dont have any experience with that.

Zone offroad's version of their shifting rod issue with the 88-94 models:

Doesn't involve welding but drilling. I have the PA kit so dont have these parts anyway just thought it was interesting to compare.

Swins350, so it's safe to say I probably will be okay not installing the longer rod? Will it give me any problems shifting or cause any transmission issues? I'm not sure how vital this piece is or if the lift will affect it in a negative way.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
no clue you have to install the lift, then reconnect it and see if it works, if not then it needs extended.

the zone kit has set screws so it doesn't need welding which is awesome IMO.

ridiqls

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
no clue you have to install the lift, then reconnect it and see if it works, if not then it needs extended.

the zone kit has set screws so it doesn't need welding which is awesome IMO.

Yeah I guess I'll find out when i start piecing things back together. Dont know a welder so I'll have to put it up on craigslist for a job

I'm looking into getting an impact wrench, what does everyone use here? More of a weekend warrior for me so price is probably the biggest factor for me but I already have an air compressor back when we were painting the house. Not sure if it's the same deal but if it is, I can pick up a 1/2" impact wrench at harbor freight for less than $50. They have this one for under $24 and I have a 20% coupon. Not sure if 75 lbs is strong enough to do most things on a car.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-ei...s-torque-compact-air-impact-wrench-93100.html

Or I can step it up and go with the electric for $49.99 or 1/2" air
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-electric-impact-wrench-68099.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-compact-air-impact-wrench-94802.html

I have hand tools and not great ones at that so each bolt is taking like 10 minutes. To take the bumper off took me a good half hour cranking it. Figured if I'm going to get better hand tools I might as well invest in an impact wrench.
Ideally would like to get one that can do the tougher stuff like tires or the body mount bolts which big and heavy cause that's where I'd probably save the most time and energy. If it can do that AND do the smaller ones, that would be awesome.

If anyone has any suggestions for a cheap impact for weekend warrior, i'm all ears. Otherwise I'll probably just get one of those up there from harbor freight.

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
I would go bigger than 75 lbs if your gonna get one, lug nuts get torqued to 100 ft lbs so id atleast want somethin good enough for that

ridiqls

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im seriously debating if i should go out and get the composite grill headlights and sets. I also need to find new seats, remove ALL the plastic on the interior to repaint it and get new carpet.. this is going to be a lot of work lol

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if you want a decent impact find one with 200 ft. lbs plus for sure. I can torque junk by hand tighter then 100 ft. lbs so why bother?