Starting my body lift, anyone who's done it before I have a few questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ridiqls

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My body lift kit from Performance Accessories should be here tmw according to tracking. It's the 3" and I have a 94 Sierra 2500 SL (W/T). I downloaded the performance accessories instructions as well as the Zone Offroad and have been searching for days now. I watched a few youtube videos and saw a dodge ram get done and also a chevy blazer (I think?) get installed.

Question:

For the 2500 Light Duty truck, there are only 6 mounts for the cab (3 on each side, drivers and passengers) and then there are 3 bars holding up the bed which equates to 6 mounts total for the bed (3 each side). And then there are 4 places (2 on each side) to put the steel square blocks to weld correct?

I'm pretty confident that's it but I want to be sure, dont want to miss anything. There are 16 bushings so I'm guessing it's for the maximum amount needed for a crew cab or extended cab that might require 8 in the cab and an extended bed for another 8?

Probably a stupid question but I do not have an extended bed right? I have a "short bed"? AKA a normal one?

Does anyone have a picture of where the very front mounts are located? I looked up the cab and found 1 below the driver's foot area and then another behind the seat. They bolt upwards. I know the very front mount is near the radiator or something and bolts downward but I dont know what exactly I'm looking for.
Will this be visible once I get the headlights, grill and bumper off? I took a flashlight and looked for a good 5 minutes but not knowing what I'm looking for just kind of made it pointless. If anyone has a picture of this, maybe one from afar so I can get some perspective and a close up I would greatly appreciate it.

If anyone has a picture of where the transmission (auto) linkage that needs to be pulled down under the floor is? I dont completely get the explanation it says to remove the seat but I know there's a guide that did it without doing so. I'm not sure what exactly this part is. Am I correct in assuming that you are pulling on a little wire for the shifting thing that goes from your steering wheel to the transmission and disconnecting it, then extending it so it doesn't snap off when you lift the body??

Sorry for so many requests but also the parking brake situation. If someone has a picture of that that would be great.

Last question... It says to loosen up all mounts (6 in my case) in the cab, then go to one side and then jack it up. Then put the spacers inside, install the bolts and do the other side. Now do I have to release the floor jack at this point and then do the other side or do I need to leave the jack and then get ANOTHER/SECOND jack to do the other side? I dont want things to snap but if I've done one side already, that one side will be 3" higher than the other side and I do NOT want the cab or body just sliding off onto the concrete or something ridiculous like that. Where do the jack stands go? If I started with the driver's side and put the spacers and bolt in, would it be alright if I removed the jack stands, removed the floor jack and COMPLETELY DISENGAGED from the driver's side in order to go do the passenger's side?
Just questioning the stability.

Another basic question but I would like to know where the most optimal place to place the floor jack and the jack stands while doing this? For both the cab and the bed.

I dont have much money but I am willing to pay someone paypal or something if someone wants to support me via text or gchat. I can also skype or send video clips from my phone or if you have a similar truck. A simple 5 second video MMS showing where a certain bolt or "thing" is would sure beat me spending 30 minutes on the internet googling with my greasy hands stopping the entire operation.

I am shooting to get this done all in one day with nothing but hand tools and myself.

Thanks.

ridiqls

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dont have a body lift, but i read this and it might help you a lot. good luck!
http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?204-The-Body-Lift-Thread

edit: this is the link
http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?2642-Tutorial-3-quot-Body-Lift

thanks, I read it a few times and I'm confident I can get most of the stuff.
I'm still not sure though about a few things.

Here is a picture from that guide that I edited.
You must be registered for see images attach

Is that the first mount right there? I found two under under the floor where the feet go and behind the door.

I still need some help with the bed though. I took a look again I dont really know where the mounts are.

ridiqls

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe someone can look through these pics and tell me if I am right or wrong about the 4 mounting points for the bed.

This is the only two that I can see that would be appropriate for the back of the bed. Someone please advise! Only two bolts I see that go into the bed unless I'm missing something. The middle one doesn't seem to connect to anything other than the tow package to the frame.

This would be the 3rd one looking through the wheel well towards the front.

This would be the 4th and last one for the bed AND one for the cab

Another view for passenger side

Is the bed welded or connected at this points? I'm hoping not otherwise how would it lift off? The metal cube/square blocks go here and need to be welded yes?

Would really mean a lot if someone just said I am right or wrong. Thank you.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Maybe someone can look through these pics and tell me if I am right or wrong about the 4 mounting points for the bed.

This is the only two that I can see that would be appropriate for the back of the bed. Someone please advise! Only two bolts I see that go into the bed unless I'm missing something. The middle one doesn't seem to connect to anything other than the tow package to the frame.

I haven't done a body lift, but I have removed a bed, and I can tell you those aren't holding the bed on. There are bolts in the top of c-channel of the frame rails that attach to each of the square steel pieces you circled in your last picture:

Each bolt has a nut welded inside that square steel piece. I believe they are 18MM heads, and I think there are 6 total. Make sure to soak each one in a solvent of some kind (PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, etc) from the nut side so that it soaks down. Each one of those bolt heads will have an "access" hole in the bottom of the c-frame channel of the frame that allows you to stick a socket extension through. Make sure to disconnect the grounds for the fuel pump and the fuel filler.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
what he said those bolts holding the hitch on do not attach to the bed the bed attaches to the top of the frame

JAW's

B/W Country & Amer. R&R
Reaction score
I had to remove the bolts that held on the Hitch receiver to be able to get the the bed mounting points

JAW's

B/W Country & Amer. R&R
Reaction score
Hmm didn't have to do that on my 98 when we took the bed off to do the fuel pump.

Strange. I have not been under there in a while. Maybe There was a way to get to it that I did not see. :shrug:

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
"Probably a stupid question but I do not have an extended bed right? I have a "short bed"? AKA a normal one?"

----Yes, you have a "short bed" AKA a normal one.

"If anyone has a picture of where the transmission (auto) linkage that needs to be pulled down under the floor is? I dont completely get the explanation it says to remove the seat but I know there's a guide that did it without doing so. I'm not sure what exactly this part is. Am I correct in assuming that you are pulling on a little wire for the shifting thing that goes from your steering wheel to the transmission and disconnecting it, then extending it so it doesn't snap off when you lift the body??"

----Pretty easy, get the carpet loosened and the seat removed. Under the carpet under the seat, there is a cable boot, which is this plastic thing with a wire going through it. That's what you are looking for. :)

"Sorry for so many requests but also the parking brake situation. If someone has a picture of that that would be great."

----I can take pictures of mine if you need me to. You just clamp it somewhere so it stays tight, take it apart, reroute it and clip it back together.

"Another basic question but I would like to know where the most optimal place to place the floor jack and the jack stands while doing this? For both the cab and the bed."

----You shouldn't need any jackstands, just a jack and maybe some blocks for the tires. A jack might come in handy for carefully picking up the bed and cab to put the BL under it. Emphasis on careful- if you are doing this by yourself, you don't want to flex anything. With the bed, if you have a second guy around, you can actually pick it up without a jack.

"I dont have much money but I am willing to pay someone paypal or something if someone wants to support me via text or gchat. I can also skype or send video clips from my phone or if you have a similar truck. A simple 5 second video MMS showing where a certain bolt or "thing" is would sure beat me spending 30 minutes on the internet googling with my greasy hands stopping the entire operation."

----I can PM you my phone number if you want me to. I'd be glad to help. And you don't have to pay me, we're all friends here.

"I am shooting to get this done all in one day with nothing but hand tools and myself."

----It can be done, just don't give up. The longest part for me was moving the bumpers around actually.