Starting my body lift, anyone who's done it before I have a few questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Strange. I have not been under there in a while. Maybe There was a way to get to it that I did not see. :shrug:

Were you using a wrench or a socket/ratchet? All of them have holes in the frame below them so you can stick a long extension through to put just a socket on them.

ridiqls

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
"Probably a stupid question but I do not have an extended bed right? I have a "short bed"? AKA a normal one?"

----Yes, you have a "short bed" AKA a normal one.

"If anyone has a picture of where the transmission (auto) linkage that needs to be pulled down under the floor is? I dont completely get the explanation it says to remove the seat but I know there's a guide that did it without doing so. I'm not sure what exactly this part is. Am I correct in assuming that you are pulling on a little wire for the shifting thing that goes from your steering wheel to the transmission and disconnecting it, then extending it so it doesn't snap off when you lift the body??"

----Pretty easy, get the carpet loosened and the seat removed. Under the carpet under the seat, there is a cable boot, which is this plastic thing with a wire going through it. That's what you are looking for. :)

"Sorry for so many requests but also the parking brake situation. If someone has a picture of that that would be great."

----I can take pictures of mine if you need me to. You just clamp it somewhere so it stays tight, take it apart, reroute it and clip it back together.

"Another basic question but I would like to know where the most optimal place to place the floor jack and the jack stands while doing this? For both the cab and the bed."

----You shouldn't need any jackstands, just a jack and maybe some blocks for the tires. A jack might come in handy for carefully picking up the bed and cab to put the BL under it. Emphasis on careful- if you are doing this by yourself, you don't want to flex anything. With the bed, if you have a second guy around, you can actually pick it up without a jack.

"I dont have much money but I am willing to pay someone paypal or something if someone wants to support me via text or gchat. I can also skype or send video clips from my phone or if you have a similar truck. A simple 5 second video MMS showing where a certain bolt or "thing" is would sure beat me spending 30 minutes on the internet googling with my greasy hands stopping the entire operation."

----I can PM you my phone number if you want me to. I'd be glad to help. And you don't have to pay me, we're all friends here.

"I am shooting to get this done all in one day with nothing but hand tools and myself."

----It can be done, just don't give up. The longest part for me was moving the bumpers around actually.

Thanks so much for the help. Okay so I guess I don't touch the bolts/nuts with the towing hitch. I hadn't realized it was connect to the top and I would need an extension, I just figured it went all the way through from the bottom. I'm going to take a really closer look now now that the sun is bright and shining.

So is this still one of the bolts that need to be removed though?
You must be registered for see images attach

What about the one that closest to the camera in this shot?

If those two are included, then I just need to find two more in the back somewhere I guess.
Also what did you mean by disconnecting the grounds for the fuel pump? The instructions tell me to unscrew those 3 screws to remove the filler neck, not sure what grounds are though.

I haven't done a body lift, but I have removed a bed, and I can tell you those aren't holding the bed on. There are bolts in the top of c-channel of the frame rails that attach to each of the square steel pieces you circled in your last picture:

Each bolt has a nut welded inside that square steel piece. I believe they are 18MM heads, and I think there are 6 total. Make sure to soak each one in a solvent of some kind (PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, etc) from the nut side so that it soaks down. Each one of those bolt heads will have an "access" hole in the bottom of the c-frame channel of the frame that allows you to stick a socket extension through. Make sure to disconnect the grounds for the fuel pump and the fuel filler.

Do you remember how many bolts total I am removing on each side to remove the bed? Because you said there are bolts for that square piece right? Pictured below

There are 3 of those steel square bars going across the frame (side to side) so that's 6 bolts already if each of those joints have 1. Then in the picture above in my response to Vortec Lover, there seems to be 2 more which makes.. 10..? Are there more bolts removed than those round spacers?

Thank you all for the help. Appreciate it.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the help. Okay so I guess I don't touch the bolts/nuts with the towing hitch. I hadn't realized it was connect to the top and I would need an extension, I just figured it went all the way through from the bottom. I'm going to take a really closer look now now that the sun is bright and shining.

So is this still one of the bolts that need to be removed though?

What about the one that closest to the camera in this shot?

If those two are included, then I just need to find two more in the back somewhere I guess.
Also what did you mean by disconnecting the grounds for the fuel pump? The instructions tell me to unscrew those 3 screws to remove the filler neck, not sure what grounds are though.

Do you remember how many bolts total I am removing on each side to remove the bed? Because you said there are bolts for that square piece right? Pictured below

There are 3 of those steel square bars going across the frame (side to side) so that's 6 bolts already if each of those joints have 1. Then in the picture above in my response to Vortec Lover, there seems to be 2 more which makes.. 10..? Are there more bolts removed than those round spacers?

Thank you all for the help. Appreciate it.

8 bolts total. I'm about to hook you up with a picture, give me a minute.

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
There will either be 3 or 4 bolts per side max, the first 2 pics you posted are bolts that need to be removed, you need to remove the ground strap for the fuel pump because iirc it connects to the bed, like vorteclover said ill pm my number, if you need any help just shoot me a text and ill get back to you asap

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Ok, the heads are indeed 18MM. They are in the locations I've circled, the will be coming up through the frame in those locations, heads pointed down to the ground:

Wrong, wait a sec ha

Last edited:

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
Ok, the heads are indeed 18MM. They are in the locations I've circled, the will be coming up through the frame in those locations, heads pointed down to the ground:

You had 5 bolts holding the bed on each side? You didnt circle the front mounts