Starter Shims/Noisy Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nca2013

Reaction score
I have a 97 K1500 ECSB with the 5.7 and 4L60E. This past June, the trans went out with 220,000 on it so I had it rebuilt. While it was out I did a rear main and bought a new flexplate. I replaced the starter a month later because the old one was packed full of mud and dirt. I did not use the shims provided because the truck had none and after 500 miles the end of the starter that covers the gear broke clean off. I replaced it with the same starter and ever since replacing the first starter the truck is making a very bad grinding/ noisy start. The starter gear is fine,but it is tearing up my flexplate. I added 1 shim and it helped a little and after adding a 2nd it seems to be worse. anybody else had any problems like this? and I know I bought the right flexplate, 168 teeth if i remember correctly. It was exactly the same as the one that came out the truck. Both starter and flexplate are from NAPA

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
The reason there are shims with the remanufactured starters is that they machine the mounting plates level. How thick were the shims you installed? Were they 2 different thicknesses? Maybe try just the thicker one and see how it is. I have had ones that I messed with for hours before I found the right combination.

Good Luck