starter bendix gremlin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Common misconception.

If you look at how the starter solenoid is constructed, the starter motor cannot get power--and therefore cannot spin--unless the solenoid plunger is magnetically drawn-in.

And if the solenoid plunger is drawn-in...the starter drive pretty-much HAS to be engaged with the flywheel. Even with the shift-fork worn, the drive will be shoved into the flywheel/flexplate ring gear.

When the starter motor spins, but the engine doesn't crank, it's virtually guaranteed that the starter drive is engaged, but the one-way clutch is slipping.
Oh Kay.... whatever was actually happening inside the starter...I heard it turning, but the drive wasn't engaging with the flexplate teeth. And then the next time we tried it, it'd work fine. So I replaced the starter as soon as I could buy one. Put new GM bolts too.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When the starter motor spins, but the engine doesn't crank, it's virtually guaranteed that the starter drive is engaged, but the one-way clutch is slipping.
Or the fork that kicks the gear out is cracked/bent/broken.