Spyder headlamps.....my take on 'em...and LIGHTING in general

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
those look good.......and happy OCD ta boot!
......the black sealant seems to give it a shadowy detail, not bad from my house.

those are some really nice close-up pictures of what the whole shebang will sorta look like too. i like pictures, thanks.

You're welcome! And yeah, I'm liking the shadowy detail too. Makes me want a set of those Spyder headlights even more, though. The fact that those use a black sealant as well makes me think they'd look REALLY good with the DNA parking lights.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
just checked....the harness should be here tomorrow. now let's hope the weather holds out.....it rained the last 3 days but it's gorgeous today.....beautiful blue sky and 48*....my back feels pretty good, i may go out and swap one side out for a comparison.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
ok....i took my PT walk and on my way back to the house i was looking at the truck.....mulling over how to photograph the steps to show the stages of improvement over stock.......well, it turns out i can't even do that. i never even bothered to check the lamps from the first jump......i feel like a complete fu@kin idiot.

You must be registered for see images attach

hmm.
https://www.amazon.com/Depo-332-111...8&reviewerType=avp_only_reviews&sortBy=recent

but it's what i have to work with......and i have no basis to determine if these things even fairly represent actual GM parts. based on my experience with my '90 K/5 i'd have to says these are pretty equal to that quad setup....all that truck had were decent sealed beams, i never got around to doing any upgrades to that truck because LIFE got in the way.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
first order of business will be to take out the grill and see what i have in there.......i guess just changing the bulbs on one side will be the first step.....and progression photos.

as much as i'd like to do a REAL comprehensive test, with a light meter and a proper indoor "laboratory" with correct distance/wall and such to measure everything(lux, lumes, candella etc)...the fact is i don't.....not where i am now and with what i have to work with...i will get voltage though :rotflmao:... what i do have available will at least be repeatable and will have to be done over the course of a few days/nights.....i'll do the best i can with what i have to use.

our calibrated eyeballs will be the determining factor.....based on what the camera captures. i am expecting to see good results......well, results none-the-less.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
If the camera has a manual setting, it would be best to use the same setting for exposure from one to the other.

Just talked to the stealership here.

GM 25770739 HIR1 ( 9011 ) $ 42 and change.
GM 23342527 HIR2 ( 9012 ) $ 20 and change.

From another post on the Candlepower forum:

9006: 1,095lm +- 15 %
9012: 1,875lm +- 15 % @ 13.2V

9005: 1,860lm +- 12 %
9011: 2,500lm +- 15 %

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
ha....you just had to tell me about the candlepower forum didn't ya? that's where i'v been these last two days.......

i will not buy another flashlight....i will not buy another flashlight....i will not buy another flashlight....i will not buy another flashlight either.

i like the environment there and Virgil is a fuggin pissa......i enjoy his dry sarcastic humor....lots of brilliant folks there too.

i was studying up on the bulbs for sure.....i'm happy with my choice for now. considering i bought them a while before this thread started.....as we talked in the beginning about HIR's, i can always buy them and toss them into the mix for a visual comparison....i'll be needing bulbs down the road anyway. sitting on the shelf for a spell afterward won't hurt a thing. there's a substantial difference betwixt the them.

did i mention i don't need another flashlight?

here's where i started over there:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?428688-AC-Delco-HIR1
and
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?427763-Brightest-9012-bulb-for-2016-Toyota-Rav4

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
If factory 9006 low beam was getting 11.0V before any relay system, you would be down to around 597 bulb lumens... lucky if you would have 1/5th of that on the road. Possibly 125 lumens? Less if you have lenses that are cloudy and reflectors that don't. Less if it is not a brand new bulb out of the package.

Moving to a relay system, engine running, alternator full voltage to lights: keeping the 9006 as factory could net you 1356 lumens at 14 volts.

Changing to the 9012 bulb.... at 14v should get you ~2200 lumens.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
If factory 9006 low beam was getting 11.0V before any relay system, you would be down to around 597 bulb lumens... lucky if you would have 1/5th of that on the road. Possibly 125 lumens? Less if you have lenses that are cloudy and reflectors that don't. Less if it is not a brand new bulb out of the package.

Moving to a relay system, engine running, alternator full voltage to lights: keeping the 9006 as factory could net you 1356 lumens at 14 volts.

Changing to the 9012 bulb.... at 14v should get you ~2200 lumens.

that's why i want to test the voltage before and after.....very important to my little brain. i used to know all those numbers for my old Blazer...back when i first found out about Daniel Stern and ECE lamps......the visual difference is remarkable, but i still like to see actual numbers.

i'm so used to bad lights on bikes and this truck....i bet ill be blown away....i PRAY these headlamp have a decent light pattern and some form of cut-off.