Spyder headlamps.....my take on 'em...and LIGHTING in general

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
188 per side... that's like 10x what was quoted a bunch of years back... going by the GMFS thread on Brazillian lights.

Being interviewed by a LEO is a non starter on the side of the road. Never give them any information, let them try and figure it out. You can, but you best want to know you are in the right.

Case in point, many years ago, was stopped for allegedly 'wobbling' side to side on an asphalt highway with approximately 4 inch deep tire ruts from tractor trailers. I was pulling a utility trailer with an import car. Lights on the trailer worked, coupling was secure, safety chains etc... all in GWO.

Female LEO to me: Where are you going? Me... none of your business, where I am going...indicating 'this direction'.

Female LEO: License, registration, insurance.... Me: here you go, already had it out when you flipped on the lights. Did I stop quickly enough for you?

Female LEO: You were wobbling... Me: if you say so, however the road you are standing on has 4 inch deep ruts in it. If you would like I can pull out a tape measure and a straight edge to give you a quantum of how deep the ruts actually are. Does your patrol vehicle wobble, following the ruts>? It should terribly, since it has tires almost a foot wide.

Female LEO: Your trailer is overloaded... Me: If you say so, when were your eyes calibrated last? You did say I stopped quickly.

Female LEO: I know you are overloaded. Me: If you say so. You are welcome to your opinion.

Female LEO: The tires have bulges..!! Me: Perhaps, so do the ones on your cruiser, if you would like I can point them out to you, perhaps your cruiser is also overloaded? Did you not check your cruiser this morning for your daily inspection report? No answer.

Me: My trailer tires may be slightly low in pressure.

Female LEO: You didn't do a daily inspection>? Me: I am not required to, but I did check the lights, couplings and welds.

Female LEO - at this point starts walking around the trailer trying to lift various things, there are many 1 inch and 2 inch ratchet straps securing the load. Absolutely nothing moves... can't charge me for insecure load under the HTA.

Female LEO: You have no flags on your trailer... Me: Flags, I don't require flags. I am under 102" width, and not over length or over height... why would I require flags? ( this is a 4 foot x 8 foot trailer, with fenders, lights etc. ) No answer.

Female LEO: Your load is sticking past the trailer. Me: It still does not require flags, it does not exceed the threshold. If you like I will hold my tape measure so you can check, motioning to the tape measure in plain view. No answer.

Female LEO: I know you're overloaded... that's a 4 bolt axle. Me: yep, it is a 4 bolt axle. No electric or hydraulic trailer brakes either. Do not require them on a 2000 pound axle. By the way, those are 1 1/16" spindles, not 1" spindles, and the hubs are rated for more than 2000 pounds as a pair. The tires are below capacity, as are the wheel rims. Fasteners are of the correct type, grade as required. Bearings are properly lubricated and adjusted as well.
The axle tube itself is made out of heavy wall 1020 grade drawn over mandrel seamless tubing, the spindles are pressed into the tubing and welded with 7018 3/32" arc welding electrodes, two passes with 100 amps of current.

Female LEO: I know you ARE overloaded. Me: If you say so, you are welcome to your opinion.

Female LEO: You know I can make you unload it here.... Me: Is that so? You are welcome to your opinion. It is not overloaded.

Female LEO, showing signs of irritation: I know damn well you are overloaded. Me: Look. I have a lot more experience at this than you do. You are welcome to your opinion.

Female LEO: I know you are overloaded, and I can have your unit towed. Me: are you charging me with an offense? Am I under arrest?

Female LEO: I know you are overloaded. Me: If you say so, I can wait here until you have a portable scale set brought out.

Female LEO: We don't have any.

Me: By the way, you are unlawfully interfering with the enjoyment of my property. I would like to proceed in that direction. ( pointing )

Me: If you are not arresting me, have a very nice day, I will be on my way.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
from what i've heard theretrofitstore is legit. seems to be extras/discontinued/blemished kind of stuff. some of the LED stuff looks good.

the LED tech out today is way ahead of just a few years ago.....i've mentioned that i fooled around with them, read as RETRO-FIT, on my new bike........with absolutely horrible results, LOL. the other thing is i can't stand most of the new headlights.....maybe i'm just old fashioned......i have no real issue with a good quality halogen setup. kinda like 'ya can't miss something you never had' i guess.....maybe it's a perception thing.....i've been in some vehicles with hi-po LED's and i felt a little disoriented....i could see reasonably well close in but the pattern didn't extend where it should have been....like driving into a black hole......

one of the PM converstions Michael and i had were about LED lamps.....let me go grab some messages like i threatened ta do a while ago, he said it was cool to post.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
here's a few.....mostly the links have cool stuff in them.....especially the fourwheeler link Mike posted, cool video.

** Bill, is there anywhere you can find out / look for beam pattern / try the JW Speaker stuff?

They have real optical engineers, and their headlamps have excelled in every test I have read, especially the bike ones that have tilt sensors.

JW 6150 may work for you, else you may fit the 6145 ( Jeep mouting bracket ) or 6145J.

I have no direct experience with them, but everything I read tells me they aren't junk, nor are they cheap.

6150 PDF here... http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/led-fog-lights-model-6150/0547981/

They actually have a measured beam pattern in the literature.

** LOL....i was just looking for a link to the JW Speaker light for bikes....the adaptive unit.

i work for a Harley dealer....setting up lighting for folks is my newest big thing, for the last few years.

that light is around $600, and worth every cent if you're a real RIDER......i got the chance to speak to the engineer that designs their lighting when i was at the Drag Specialties show in King of Prussa, PA some months back.

https://www.jwspeaker.com/products/adaptive-led-headlights-model-8790-adaptive/

we're on the same track i see.....

** Here's an article which has a test of a plethora of different lamps, and they have a beam shot of a JW 6150, you will have to scroll down to view the picture, click on it for a larger version. Looks like clean, crisp cut off to me.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/product-reviews/1403-off-road-lighting-test-festival-of-leds/

** I see that article lists them at $143 each, but it is a few years old, The Retrofit source has some of the JW speaker round fogs for different applications ( they list a 4.5" model as well ) for about $360 a pair.

I would seriously take a good look at these.

** of course Harley is overpriced and these lights can be sourced elsewhere....but theve been out for around 5 years now

http://www.harley-davidson.com/shop/motorcycle-lights

** i watched the video and just "drove" with them.....i concur the 6150 has the nicest pattern for what a good fog light is supposed to be.....crisp cutoff......it is a 4" light....it's the same light Harley has for the auxiliary light buckets that are well know on the baggers......i like the kook of the reflector series better and will have them on my '15 as soon as i get back to work.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/daymaker-reflector-led-auxiliary-lamps

i'm also going to mount the little FOG lights to my crash bar, down low s they should be. you need to buy the lights, the mounting brackets and wiring harness all separate....very expensive. i get a good discount so it's not bad for me....other riders ***** about the price but they're impressed with the difference after they part with their money......

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/daymaker-reflector-led-fog-lamp

i would like to have had all these PM's on the thread.....it's good info for the masses.

** I agree that it's all good information for the masses. Not many seem to be interested in good quality lighting, they would much rather toss in the cheapest retina burning eBay HID kit with 50 or 75 watt ballasts, radiation pattern be damned, like spokes of a wheel.

Some care. Some buy quality gear. The general public does not want to hear how illegal or ineffective their lighting is or unsafe for other drivers.

** 100% truth......one of the reasons i take the time to make threads like this......i like to help and teach what i've learned....i like to LEARN from those that went before me.

i should copy and pste all these messages to the thread......what say you?

COPY AND PASTING ALL THAT CONFUSED THE **** OUT OF ME................

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
the LED tech out today is way ahead of just a few years ago.....i've mentioned that i fooled around with them, read as RETRO-FIT, on my new bike........with absolutely horrible results, LOL. the other thing is i can't stand most of the new headlights.....maybe i'm just old fashioned......i have no real issue with a good quality halogen setup. kinda like 'ya can't miss something you never had' i guess.....maybe it's a perception thing.....i've been in some vehicles with hi-po LED's and i felt a little disoriented....i could see reasonably well close in but the pattern didn't extend where it should have been....like driving into a black hole......

one of the PM converstions Michael and i had were about LED lamps.....let me go grab some messages like i threatened ta do a while ago, he said it was cool to post.

If there is too much foreground light, your pupils constrict and you can not see as well as you 'think' you can. This is why headlights need to be designed properly with instrumentation objectively, not subjectively.

IIHS has also started to take headlight performance into consideration in new model vehicles.

The results are pretty disappointing to be honest, but automakers need to step up their game in order to get a top safety pick plus.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
This video is from a user that installed the JW Speaker fog lights in his lifted Jeep.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Keep in mind this is not really the best place or height for them, fog lamps are meant to be low mounted, with a wide, flat pattern so you do not get dazzle or reflected light from FOG, rain, snow... IE: inclement weather.

This is not the best use of the product, but gives you an idea compared to the stock Jeep light. No mention if the aim is correct.

I would suggest that those wanting a true fog light use them as intended. A fog lamp is not an auxiliary driving lamp, nor an off road light, etc.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
For those that say the knock offs from China are as good as a Rigid... here you go. This is a video of what they call a hyper spot ( off road light ) that might be used for driving down bush roads etc, lower speed but where you want decent distance, with not a lot of width.

Auxbeam $ 58 bucks Amazon vs. Rigid at over $ 200.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GURIBkndc8Q

The Auxbeam comparison from the 7 month old unit to the new one shows significant yellowing of the lens, the coating on the housing was oxidizing. A 7 month old Rigid looks pretty close to new.

The garage test looked not bad for the Auxbeam, but the on road test was quite different.

Good quality tools, equipment and parts are more durable, and will give you better return on investment in long term vs. buying cheap garbage and replacing it again.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Got those cheap DNA Motoring parking lights installed and changed all those chrome coated bulbs out for regular ones. I think the housings actually look pretty good! Much better than I was expecting honestly. They match my Anzo headlights really well, and I LOVE the fact that all my front lighting has matching horizontal lines in the lens molding now. My OCD is happy.

You must be registered for see images

The real biggie is the brightness gained by changing those silly show bulbs out, though. Never again with that crap.

And some bonus shots of everything lit up, just because!

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
188 per side... that's like 10x what was quoted a bunch of years back... going by the GMFS thread on Brazillian lights.

Being interviewed by a LEO is a non starter on the side of the road. Never give them any information, let them try and figure it out. You can, but you best want to know you are in the right.

Case in point, many years ago, was stopped for allegedly 'wobbling' side to side on an asphalt highway with approximately 4 inch deep tire ruts from tractor trailers. I was pulling a utility trailer with an import car. Lights on the trailer worked, coupling was secure, safety chains etc... all in GWO.

Female LEO to me: Where are you going? Me... none of your business, where I am going...indicating 'this direction'.

Female LEO: License, registration, insurance.... Me: here you go, already had it out when you flipped on the lights. Did I stop quickly enough for you?

Female LEO: You were wobbling... Me: if you say so, however the road you are standing on has 4 inch deep ruts in it. If you would like I can pull out a tape measure and a straight edge to give you a quantum of how deep the ruts actually are. Does your patrol vehicle wobble, following the ruts>? It should terribly, since it has tires almost a foot wide.

Female LEO: Your trailer is overloaded... Me: If you say so, when were your eyes calibrated last? You did say I stopped quickly.

Female LEO: I know you are overloaded. Me: If you say so. You are welcome to your opinion.

Female LEO: The tires have bulges..!! Me: Perhaps, so do the ones on your cruiser, if you would like I can point them out to you, perhaps your cruiser is also overloaded? Did you not check your cruiser this morning for your daily inspection report? No answer.

Me: My trailer tires may be slightly low in pressure.

Female LEO: You didn't do a daily inspection>? Me: I am not required to, but I did check the lights, couplings and welds.

Female LEO - at this point starts walking around the trailer trying to lift various things, there are many 1 inch and 2 inch ratchet straps securing the load. Absolutely nothing moves... can't charge me for insecure load under the HTA.

Female LEO: You have no flags on your trailer... Me: Flags, I don't require flags. I am under 102" width, and not over length or over height... why would I require flags? ( this is a 4 foot x 8 foot trailer, with fenders, lights etc. ) No answer.

Female LEO: Your load is sticking past the trailer. Me: It still does not require flags, it does not exceed the threshold. If you like I will hold my tape measure so you can check, motioning to the tape measure in plain view. No answer.

Female LEO: I know you're overloaded... that's a 4 bolt axle. Me: yep, it is a 4 bolt axle. No electric or hydraulic trailer brakes either. Do not require them on a 2000 pound axle. By the way, those are 1 1/16" spindles, not 1" spindles, and the hubs are rated for more than 2000 pounds as a pair. The tires are below capacity, as are the wheel rims. Fasteners are of the correct type, grade as required. Bearings are properly lubricated and adjusted as well.
The axle tube itself is made out of heavy wall 1020 grade drawn over mandrel seamless tubing, the spindles are pressed into the tubing and welded with 7018 3/32" arc welding electrodes, two passes with 100 amps of current.

Female LEO: I know you ARE overloaded. Me: If you say so, you are welcome to your opinion.

Female LEO: You know I can make you unload it here.... Me: Is that so? You are welcome to your opinion. It is not overloaded.

Female LEO, showing signs of irritation: I know damn well you are overloaded. Me: Look. I have a lot more experience at this than you do. You are welcome to your opinion.

Female LEO: I know you are overloaded, and I can have your unit towed. Me: are you charging me with an offense? Am I under arrest?

Female LEO: I know you are overloaded. Me: If you say so, I can wait here until you have a portable scale set brought out.

Female LEO: We don't have any.

Me: By the way, you are unlawfully interfering with the enjoyment of my property. I would like to proceed in that direction. ( pointing )

Me: If you are not arresting me, have a very nice day, I will be on my way.

HAHAHA.....that's about what happens.......then the SWAT van shows up.

how long did THAT take to type? LOL but true it is.......anything they CAN pull you over for opens the door for all sorts of stuff.......best to be invisible......took me a LONG time to get that.....i'm allergic to alcohol, every time i drink i break out in handcuffs......been 10+ years since i wore a set.....

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
For those that say the knock offs from China are as good as a Rigid... here you go. This is a video of what they call a hyper spot ( off road light ) that might be used for driving down bush roads etc, lower speed but where you want decent distance, with not a lot of width.

Auxbeam $ 58 bucks Amazon vs. Rigid at over $ 200.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GURIBkndc8Q
The Auxbeam comparison from the 7 month old unit to the new one shows significant yellowing of the lens, the coating on the housing was oxidizing. A 7 month old Rigid looks pretty close to new.

The garage test looked not bad for the Auxbeam, but the on road test was quite different.

Good quality tools, equipment and parts are more durable, and will give you better return on investment in long term vs. buying cheap garbage and replacing it again.

like i've said......my father told me when i was a kid. "a poor man can't afford to buy cheap tools"

says TONS about everything........like you said...."buy once, cry once"

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Got those cheap DNA Motoring parking lights installed and changed all those chrome coated bulbs out for regular ones. I think the housings actually look pretty good! Much better than I was expecting honestly. They match my Anzo headlights really well, and I LOVE the fact that all my front lighting has matching horizontal lines in the lens molding now. My OCD is happy.

The real biggie is the brightness gained by changing those silly show bulbs out, though. Never again with that crap.

And some bonus shots of everything lit up, just because!

those look good.......and happy OCD ta boot!
......the black sealant seems to give it a shadowy detail, not bad from my house.

those are some really nice close-up pictures of what the whole shebang will sorta look like too. i like pictures, thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wjauto1777