Spyder headlamps.....my take on 'em...and LIGHTING in general

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's pretty neat. Very interesting concept. I wonder if there's some sort of electric accelerometer in the housing or if it's just a mercury switch that determines how many of the side LEDs are illuminated...

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
That's pretty neat. Very interesting concept. I wonder if there's some sort of electric accelerometer in the housing or if it's just a mercury switch that determines how many of the side LEDs are illuminated...

it IS neat, but a dang mutant R2D2 for sure....the fact that it goes through a whole lightening show sequence on startup is annoying as hell too......

but.....when i was representing my dealership at the Drag Specialties Expo this year, they're the largest Harley aftermarket supplier.....i got to spend some good time with J.W. Speakers top engineer....learned quite a bit from him and he was quite gracious to answer everything could think of.

the unit works off a gyroscope.....that surprised me. the more you lean the more lights go on.

he said if i wanted to buy the light WITHOUT the startup ****, i could call him and he'd have someone hack into one and delete it for me.......fantastic company as far as i'm concerned. they were very well represented by their people and knew their stuff......if i went with any LED's i'd use them for sure.....made in USA as well....and that's VERY important to me.

this light is the tops for motorcycle riders....so long as you don't care about aesthetics.....and that's only MY opinion.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
this is my favorite version of the WT grille:
You must be registered for see images attach

reminds me of an older S10 truck.

i got something floppin around in my head.....

it has something to do with dual lamps....5 3/4" ones.....saw something on ebay and a "light" bulb went off. got me thinkin anyway. these are from a BMW.

this grill with the side marker light setup may offer a reasonably easy plastic modification....just bouncin around my head....right now both brain cells are chasing each other around......they were fighting before.

Last edited:

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
any pics of the install on the OP's truck yet?

not as of yet.....i'm waiting for the harness that i procured from gmachinz to arrive......then i'll need the weather and my body to cooperate. i just had a pretty big spine surgery so mobility issues are a factor.

believe me i want to see this done myself.....

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
onto other forward facing lights.

as i said i do most of my long distance drives at night......and inclement weather sometimes can be a *****....with just plain ol' low beams you're looking at a white wall in front of you.

yup, next topic is FOG lights.......fog lights as in bad rain, snow or fog. i've learned not to outrun my lights, especially on dead black rural roads......

real fog lights are meant to shine UNDER the crap your driving through....they're meant to be on by themselves, no other lights should be on as to obfuscate their purpose....they're not to fill in the void in front of you, or supplement your low beams......or have 6 lights on at the same time like the guy in that thread i posted...

bad weather, to me means the need to slow down a bit.....i want to see the side of the road so i can stay on it and not drive into a ditch or worse.

my next experiment will be with the new LMC front bumper with the little adjustable fog lights in it......my bumper is pretty shot anyway and i was going to replace it......this seems to kill two chickens with one stick. my truck isn't and probably won't be lifted so the height of this setup should work reasonably well.

here's the bumper....

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/CD/full.aspx?Page=73

You must be registered for see images

i have the bumper already. it's a well made piece, heavy gauge with good chrome... the lights have aluminum housings, glass lenses and i think are adjustable. i don't know what bulb it came with, it only says 12v 55W.....i'm hoping they're gonna be low enough to work as true FOG lights. time will tell..i didn't want lights UNDER the bumper for potential damage reasons. this would have been optimum as the lower the better, but ya can't have your cake and eat it too......in most cases.

i'll be putting my air dam back to reduce drag and maybe get the 1 mpg back i lost since i took it off.

i'm not sure what bulb i'll be using in these yet, ....i may go with amber, i'll try it first with what's in it.....i've had both amber and clear fogs, both have their good points.....maybe i'll coat the lens. the jury is still out on that

here's one i found. i may consider something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Optilux-H710...rd_wg=HouzS&psc=1&refRID=R79XZV79R5YMF8FRBHDD

Are those the IPCW LED parking lights?

VenomousSVT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
not as of yet.....i'm waiting for the harness that i procured from gmachinz to arrive......then i'll need the weather and my body to cooperate. i just had a pretty big spine surgery so mobility issues are a factor.

believe me i want to see this done myself.....
looking forward to the end result. My SCSB is getting an lq4/4l80 swap now and will hopefully be restoring everything else in a few weeks. New lights will be on that list of things to do.