Spyder headlamps.....my take on 'em...and LIGHTING in general

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
now THIS is just straight up bad assed......much bigger than i need, but there's no comparison betwixt a rugged leaf sprung solid axle v. an emaciated 1/2 ton IFS setup......not to me anyway. remember ALL i've ever owned were well built 4-leaf trucks.

full

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
ok...one thing before i go out to clean the "wake of destruction" that is the garage......

i've been pondering the poor quality beam pattern of the fog lights that came with the LMC bumper. it bothered me the pattern wasn't very wide, as a fog light SHOULD be.....i spoke of it after i wired them up and posted the photo of the beam pattern down that alley.

well...........it was right under my nose and i missed it the first time....all the reading, "absorbing" of the information must have caused a short circuit betwixt my two brain cells. as of 5 minutes ago i figured out just WHY it didn't look like a fog pattern.

i'm going to leave this picture here to see if anyone else can figure it out. there's enough evidence in this photo to make the determination......i ASSUMED one thing without double checking. i was also not armed with the information at the time, the same information i had to re-learn prior to taking on this endeavor.....OR i just got confused(big surprise there, huh) with what i actually SAW.

i believe Michael will get it straight away as i have an idea as to the extent of his knowledge. i'm sure other's will as well.....i just want this to be a lesson to ALL of us BEFORE we go buying lights and haphazardly go about installing them.

let see just who's paying attention.....i know i am, but it took a while.

You must be registered for see images attach

i may be able to rectify this.....i'm not going to say anything else until there are some responses to this post.

EDIT: SEE FOLLOWING POSTS TO FIND OUT MY MISTAKE.....wow, brain damage is real

Last edited:

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
one more clue to refresh your recollection....or if you just joined in and haven't followed along....or even WANTED to read this whole thread.

this was the beam pattern from the LMC bumper fog lights. no other lights were on at the time....i KNEW they weren't aimed perfectly....but i was a little surprised at what i saw either way.
fogs

low beam and fog lights

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
ok....hold the thoughts......i just went back and re-re-unconfused myself(is that a double-confused negative?) . it goes to show what brain damage and overexposure to information can cause......i did manage to go back out and double check the lens....it does have information for BOTH SAE and EEC/ECE parameters.....i just didn't see ALL the information before i made these last two posts.

here: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/codes/codes.html

it CAN be daunting task trying to figure all this **** out....especially when there's SO much of it going on at the same time...at least for me and what's left of my cerebral capacity.

i hope THIS serves as a lesson too. make sure you're lookin at the correct information BEFORE jumping to conclusions or making a purchase for a particular purpose....second guessing without checking can be dangerous and expensive. everything deserves it's due diligence....i just proved that......now i best aim the lights correctly BEFORE i pass judgement on their effectiveness or lack thereof!

howz that fer CHAOS?

please accept my apologies for the confusion.....

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
"Lamp Function Markings

There are letters, numbers and symbols on the lens or housing that indicate various aspects of the lamp's function and performance. The North American SAE and rest-of-world ECE regulations indicate the various functions with different markings. The two systems use some of the same markings for different functions."

Daniel Stern

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
today i re-wire them up and try to aim them better.....i did move them OUTWARD already.....i suspect a bit lower and they may actually work well........as i did in fact mention somewhere in the past.

a picture is worth a thousand words......and we all know i seem to like typing!

:025:

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
i could have just deleted the first post and not looked the fool....but at this point in my life i think it best to show, (1) that mistakes can happen and (2) you can't learn or teach anything by embracing your ego and vanity......i'm comfortable with this decision and i hope someone other than me can learn from it.

cheers

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
a looooong time ago i learned that i'm accountable for what i CHOOSE to do and the aftermath of what is to follow....

i'm just struggling with the fact i have to accept my brain is not functioning the way it once did.....all normal functions are fine, just my short term memory has been compromised further by the most recent anesthesia for my back surgery.....it takes me a bit to recover from that....and the fact that i've had NINE of the fu@kers in the last 5 years doesn't help my case.....usually i do figure through it. i just have to remember to double check things, in some cases triple check....and as a carpenter for many years the old adage "measure twice, cut once" has many different meanings.