southern_z71_92's 1983 GMC Jimmy build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Intake is on and timing chain cover. Oil pan tomorrow. Also dizzy is in. New parts go in it tomorrow. Pulling water pump and other accessories off old block tomorrow before trying pull the block.

That Green Jimmy

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well oil pan is on but not completely bolted down yet. Got the water pump, harmonic balancer, and torque converter unbolted. Only thing left under the hood is engine mounts after that the old block can be pulled out. So ready to get it done

That Green Jimmy

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well she is all together for the most part. Picking up new thermostat today and need to get coolant. Going to try and clean the carb up a littlw bit might throw a coat of paint on the engine just to make it look better. It's just small things left.
You must be registered for see images

And hopefully pulling this tonight

That Green Jimmy

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Motor is pulled. Was much easier than expected with the height of the truck. Ended up being able to keep it on the 35s. So ready to get this "new" motor in. My grandpa said he might even have it in when I got off tomorrow. But not sure if he was serious lol. He's got a lot of drive for things like this.

That Green Jimmy

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
"New" motor is in. Had to get a new flywheel cause the one my grandpa had was a little one and the one that came off the truck is a new style. All that is left is the carb, power steering pump, alternator, a/c compressor, plugs, wires, cap & rotor button, headers, and fluids.

Putting new seals in the a/c compressor so that I can charge it and have fuctional cold air haha.

That Green Jimmy

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well the coolant temp sensor is no longer produced so I don't really know what I'm going to do. I've been told to go find some brass fittings and make an adapter. Or go to the junk yard and pull one from an older truck and hope it's in good working order. Forgot to get the gaskets and coolant so I'll do that soon

That Green Jimmy

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Found the adapter for fbe coolant temp sensor. Got the a/c compressor on and all the brackets bolted down the way they should be. New plugs, wires, cap, and rotor button are on. Filled with oil and new oil filter. Cleaned the carb up and got it back on top. Replaced a few of the vaccum hoses. Long tubes also went on. Got everything plugged back up. And got the timing set at like 10 degrees. Might advance it some more just to see if take off is better. But yeah she runs and she screams. I'm in love with this truck all over again haha do glad to have it back. I'll get some pics up later on of the engine bay. Looks about the same but a whole lot cleaner. And longtube headers haha.

That Green Jimmy