soon to be new truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ls6firebird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that for sure, everyone around here has pillar gagues for that, that was the first thing i was gonna order if we ended up with a diesel was some kind of pillar gagues or a pod like you were talking about.

yea, the thing i like about the insight is that it will read more than the amount of gauges you can put in a pillar. it will read i think 6 at a time, and u can cycle thru which parameters you want it to display. there again, its not necesarilly better, but its a very nice unit

ls6firebird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the allison is well worth putting money into. that trans is incredible when built

squeaky3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i would like to get one of those edge displays that does that or something similar, but for nwo i dont have a programmer or anything other than intake and exhaust and dont plan on doing any heavy extened towing so for now i should be fine

the guy that owned the truck before me, he only used it to tow around his 5th wheel camper and that was about it, was a lil bit older guy but not to old as he did do a few lil mods to it that most older guys wouldnt

illinoisboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I fully expect your next reply to be something to the effect of "you dont have to modify the ford trans to handle the power" :hmm:
Its funny that you think he is trying to be a smartass know it all, but he is just saying what he knows. Honestly he is giving his 2cents and you have no where near seen the smart ass part of him. Trust me i live with him.
Here you want what is know from friend's experience, Dmax's need lots of tranny help if you plan on adding too much power, If your getting a dodge to make a puller or street truck, you need a manal or a built tranny. The fords that we know of, have tunes, engine work and all types of stuff with a stock tranny and seem to hold up much better. So he isnt been a smart ass saying oh well balzer is stupid, he is showing what he has heard and seen in the past years. Showing that every one has different experiences with different trucks. If you have a problem with it well then thats something you should keep to yourself since these are the cold hard facts about trucks here around us. So quit trying to be a hard ass know it all older guy and just listen.

Balzer

and Mean Girl *truck*
Reaction score
the allison is well worth putting money into. that trans is incredible when built

Exactly but he said
there is no way an allison would hold up to the hp/ tq the new fords are making, and they will barley hold a dmax with a small tuner...

And I can back up my opinion all you need to do is look up reviews and resale value, ford and dodge may edge up GM for a short time but GM always recovers quickly

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
LOL obviously you have never worked on fords and ran into their COUNTLESS "better ideas"

For what its worth its not really your age that bothers me, its the fact that you tend to argue with not only everything I post but most other people as well. Your a smart assed know it all, you listen to your friends and think their word is gosple and the end all, undeniable fact. I guess you wasnt around a few short years ago when ford and dodge where trying to make their pathetic gasoline transmissions work behind the diesels and GM come out with basicly a smaller version of a semi trans.

The way you talk your obviously clueless to what real hot rodding is. You seam to focus on the horsepower then say the trans is weak. A real power junkie that knows his ass from a hole in the ground knows that if you make more power you need to beef up the rest of the drive train to handle the added power. Its blatantly obvious that you have no clue that there are ways to build the allison to handle the power. All you see is programers and exhaust and raw power and a weak STOCK transmission.

Do yourself a favor and youtube some sled pulling videos of duramax/allison trucks up in the 1500ftlb area before you go spurting off that an allison cant hang.
actually im not clueless, i know that you must beef up everything, and i dont take it as the gospel, i know about all of fords crap problems, thats not the point our stuck on that dmaxes are the best, but it aint true, yes the allison will hold, with billet shafts and all the other goodies, theres been 3 guys around here in the last year competely have to redo their trannies because of getting tunes on their trucks, im not focues on the hp, but ok
anyways, hp doesnt mean anything, tg is where its all at, every racer hotrodder knwos that, the reason my buddy got beat by the fors is simple, the ford has more power in every way, that ford has ***** about every dmax in this area
yup, i argue with everyone, i only argue about things that i atleast have an idea, no my friends word arent the gospel, but when you hear the same thing about the same style truck over and over and over again, you tend to thing its the truth, and to the tranny comment about chevy putting one in thats a small semi, yup, the allisons were the best when they first came out, welcome to 2012 my friend, we now have far more advanced things, you can now call people with out even touching the phone, and you can get internet on your phone to, your making comments that dont even relate to this subject, your talking about when the dmax first came out, before the common rail cummins, before the 6.4 powerstroke, or heck, even the 6.0 powerstroke
lets face it, the dmax is not the best, the cummins isnt the best, and neither is the powerstroke, they all have their ups and their downs, but the dmax has nothing going for it really, it will get smoked in a race by a powerstroke, it will get outlasted by a cummins, and probably out pulled by anything in stock form, even modded, they tend to be the same way.
ive seen the whole 1500fftlb pulling sled thing, those arent stock allisons, they have competly different internals, just like a 800hp dmax, just like 600hp dmax. yes, fords need built trans then too,

ls6firebird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i would like to get one of those edge displays that does that or something similar, but for nwo i dont have a programmer or anything other than intake and exhaust and dont plan on doing any heavy extened towing so for now i should be fine

the guy that owned the truck before me, he only used it to tow around his 5th wheel camper and that was about it, was a lil bit older guy but not to old as he did do a few lil mods to it that most older guys wouldnt

dont let the allison trans talk scare ya. its nothing thats a fault, just one of the weaker links found when throwing a lot of power through something. but it will take more than what its been made to sound like. with a custom tune, you can put more power thru it than with a handheld programmer and be safer on the trans at the same time. plus, with a custom tune such as efi, you can switch the tunes on the fly

Balzer

and Mean Girl *truck*
Reaction score
Its funny that you think he is trying to be a smartass know it all, but he is just saying what he knows. Honestly he is giving his 2cents and you have no where near seen the smart ass part of him. Trust me i live with him.
Here you want what is know from friend's experience, Dmax's need lots of tranny help if you plan on adding too much power, If your getting a dodge to make a puller or street truck, you need a manal or a built tranny. The fords that we know of, have tunes, engine work and all types of stuff with a stock tranny and seem to hold up much better. So he isnt been a smart ass saying oh well balzer is stupid, he is showing what he has heard and seen in the past years. Showing that every one has different experiences with different trucks. If you have a problem with it well then thats something you should keep to yourself since these are the cold hard facts about trucks here around us. So quit trying to be a hard ass know it all older guy and just listen.

So basically bro came in to say exactly what I expected to be said???? My point is if your building a hot rod you dont stop at engine work and just hope the STOCK drivetrain holds up.

ls6firebird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
just to clarify, its not the power levels of the "little programmers" that hurt a truck. the canned tunes those come with are horrible. they shock the transmission pretty bad. if you get a good custom tune, more power can be ran through it than what a handheld tuner will give, but it will actually be easier on the transmission.

Kansas_Burb

Reaction score
If your getting a dodge to make a puller or street truck, you need a manal or a built tranny.

Hmm I have two friends with Cummins, one has a manual, and one has an auto.

The Manual trans has been replaced 5 times, getting ready for the 6th.

The auto has gone out once and built once and is holding strong.

"So quit trying to be a hard ass know it all older guy and just listen."
Really? "Just listen"? Sounds like you're the one trying to be the know it all.