What to replace / look out for? Just bought this '94 Chevy C1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tootskee

Reaction score
Just sealed the deal on this sweet 1994 Chevy C1500 with the 4.3L v6 automatic. I'm planning on bringing it into a shop for an inspection but anything I should go ahead and plan to replace or look out for?

Its in amazing shape for its age and drives great -- under $150k original miles and the single owner before me kept it in a garage
You must be registered for see images attach
]

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So that's how they're supposed to look? One sweet ride you got there!
Because I tend to be a bit hard on the hammer pedal, I'm always paranoid about brake lines on older vehicles. So I'd be looking them over. Metal lines rusted spells doom. Rubber lines faded or cracked is equal doom.
Otherwise, the rubber parts in general, belts and hoses, check for age-related signs.
Do you have vehicle maintenance records? Tune up items, fuel filter, oil, things like that need verified.
Certainly not the end of the list, just a few basics to get ya started!

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dang that's in nice shape!!! Nice grab.
First thing I can think of is tires. Make sure they are not too old. 7-8yrs old would be the max age I would trust running.

Then fluids....all of them. Check them, and change them. Old antifreeze can get all yucky and plug stuff up and cause rust to form. Then maybe if it's not really running right, all the tune up parts, Cap and rotor, plugs, wires and fuel filter.

BUT.....only change things after a GOOD diagnosis. If you fire the parts cannon at it and change everything at once, it makes it harder to diagnose and find what's really wrong.

And that brings us to the fuel pump. Ethanol is nasty on the rubber lines that came originally. The one inside that connects the pump to the lines can get holes in it that mimic a bad pump, but can actually just be the little section of hose. But it's one of those things that since your in there anyway, change them both out.

That's all I can think of know. Undoubtedly others will chime in. Enjoy your new ride.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FIRST, fix everything related to safety. Tires, suspension, steering, brakes, lights. Pay special attention to the steering-column rag joint, they're almost universally bad. Removing the stock rag-jointed lower steering shaft in favor of a lower shaft using a U-joint was VERY recommended, but I think the parts have been discontinued.

A 1500 pickup will almost certainly have the horse-crap 254mm (10") leading-trailing shoe rear drums. They're pathetic; a horrible design that won't stay in adjustment because nobody uses the park brake any more. You will need to assure that the park brake cables aren't seized, and that you USE the park brake regularly. The real fix for all of this is to upgrade the rear axle from the OEM "10-bolt" to a 14-bolt semi-float, or at least upgrade the rear brakes to the 11.x Duo-Servo drums. (NOT a cheap 'n' crappy disc-brake conversion.) Upgrading the axle on a 2WD is more-complex than upgrading the axle on a 4WD. The front brakes have Low Drag calipers, make sure the pistons move freely. Common for the brake fluid to be ancient, leading to deposits on the piston and the rubber caliper seals. (Flush brake fluid, clean the master cylinder reservoir) May need to rebuild or replace the calipers (and wheel cylinders.) The brake anti-lock (ABS) will need to be bled USING A SCAN TOOL.

Upper control arm bushings are certain to be wiped-out, lower control arm bushings are probably wiped as well. Ball joints, tie rod ends, idler and Pitman arm, and shock absorbers are questionable. Rubber bump-stops may be missing or damaged. Leaf spring eye bushings, and the rear axe U-bolts need examination. Common for the U-bolts to be rusted almost to nothing.

Old bulbs become dim. Headlights may need to be aimed, especially important if the suspension ride-height isn't to spec. (Lifted, lowered, or just worn-out.) Don't get me started on Ford's Better Idea: Using shytty, bottom-feeder plastic for headlight lenses; and having a non-functional Government agency that allowed Ford--and the rest of the industry--to do it with ZERO oversight or forethought.

A 2WD truck will need the front wheel bearings repacked now 'n' then, and I bet it's WAY overdue. This would be part of a front brake job, IF (big IF) the shop doing it is competent. That's not guaranteed.

THEN examine everything rubber. Tires and suspension bushings will be taken care of in the "safety" inspection; but that still leaves body mounts, hoses, (coolant, fuel, and vacuum) wiper blades, and serpentine belt and perhaps it's tensioner. Do not replace OEM spring clamps in favor of the crappy hose-eating worm-gear clamps sold at huge profit at every parts store in America. While you have the cooling system open, verify the radiator is in usable condition along with the fan and clutch.

All fluids and filters get changed except maybe the A/C refrigerant and dryer, all "consumable" parts like spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap 'n' rotor, PCV valve, etc. get examined and replaced as needed.

Check the accuracy of all the gauges--oil pressure, speedo, engine temp, voltmeter, etc. Now is a good time to have the battery, alternator/regulator, and starter tested; preferably "on-the-car" because testing them "off-the-car" at the local parts store depends too much on the pimply-faced kid running "The Machine" that does the testing--AND--"off the car" testing doesn't include the wire harness connecting all those electrical parts together.

Verify that there are no "codes" stored, and assure that ALL the sensors and computer outputs are working properly. The O2 sensor becomes "lazy" with age, you almost certainly need a fresh one. Clean the throttle body, throttle plates, and IAC passage with aerosol carb spray. Dump a bottle of Chevron Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner in the gas tank now, and at every oil change, and buy only "Top Tier" fuel to keep the injectors and valves happy.

No matter what you budget for all of this...you'll find more wrong that needs more money to take care of.

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First priority:
Check your rag joint.
Check your u-bolts.
Check your cab mounts.
Check your brakes.

Second priority:
Oil and filter change
Fuel filter change
Air filter change
Plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. Get the United Motor Products blue/brass cap and rotor.
Check your coolant condition.
Check your brake fluid condition.

Jimmy D

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Garage kept and one owner are the key words to pay attention to. It was most likely owned by an adult who obviously took great care of it. He didn't drive it much and when he did, he parked it well away from others to protect it. Looking at the interior shows very little fabric wear and brake pedal shows little wear. Outside the lack of dents and dings and faded paint indicates it has spent very little time out in the elements. I would expect there is a regular maintenance history to accompany this truck. 150,000 miles is nothing on trucks these days. I suggest drive it and see how it feels and sounds. If it steers properly and stops properly and trans shifts properly it can be considered a sound vehicle. Of course do an inspection of all the steering wear items, condition of tires and manufacture date. If this is a southern truck rusted fuel and brake lines are not nearly the issue they are with northern vehicles.
I don't know what your intentions are for it but I know you found yourself a real gem, much like mine.