Softer ride possible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1999gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I installed a set of Sulastic leaf spring shackles on my 98 extended cab short bed, and they are the best investment I have made on this truck, hands down. The shackles combined with all polyurethane bushings all the way around, make this truck ride like there is 400 lbs. in the bed, and the handling is great. I have been running Edelbrock shocks all around, for about 8 years and they are still working like new! As soon as you hit a bump with the stock shackles, and no weight in the bed, the springs drive the straight shackles directly into the frame, before the shocks even begin to work. The Sulastics work like an elbow, allowing the rear end to move, without driving the impact into the frame. Here's their link: http://www.sulastic.com/truck-shackle-suspension-sa-01

How long have you had your Sulastics? I installed them 3 1/2 years ago and really liked them also. I was under my truck about 3 months ago and noticed them tearing. I called Sulastic and he told me they only have a 3 year warranty on the rubber but they would give me $40 off a new set. I also installed a set on my Dad's F250 shortly after I did mine because they made such an improvement on mine. I went round and round with them and I agree'd to split the cost with them on another set to give them another shot. I just installed the new ones Friday and noticed a ride improvement again. The ones on my truck were all the way against the stop built into the Sulastic, so it really wasn't working.

95bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How long have you had your Sulastics? I installed them 3 1/2 years ago and really liked them also. I was under my truck about 3 months ago and noticed them tearing. I called Sulastic and he told me they only have a 3 year warranty on the rubber but they would give me $40 off a new set. I also installed a set on my Dad's F250 shortly after I did mine because they made such an improvement on mine. I went round and round with them and I agree'd to split the cost with them on another set to give them another shot. I just installed the new ones Friday and noticed a ride improvement again. The ones on my truck were all the way against the stop built into the Sulastic, so it really wasn't working.

Did you ever replace them again? Can't you just replace the rubber by itself?

1999gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I put new ones in. The rubber is vulcanized to the metal of the shackle so you can't just replace the rubber. You can replace the bushings in one part of the sulastic, just not the part that tore on mine.

Last edited:

Steve A

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sulastic video and Installation instructions both state "Limited lifetime warranty." Both places state warranty is 10 years on steel/metal parts and 3 years on rubber. Last page of install instructions says service life is 5 to 10 years. So much for "limited lifetime warranty.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like same idea as a torsion axle. Pretty slick. Ironically I want them on my 1500 more than the dually.