Softer ride possible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
i'll mention one thing...i'm considering trying out the Gabriel Max Control shocks. when my unknown blue shocks **** the bed, or i get a bug to do it, which may be soon as i do need a steering stabilizer now ....whoever made them made a decent shock, there's no stickers on them....i can't remember who makes blue shocks, maybe Sears? i've been told by two people my truck rides exceptionally well.

the wrong shocks will fu@k up a good suspension, know that.

since i put the Warn guard on mine and will be doing another battery i do need to raise the front of my truck a tad...... my rear is some higher than stock as the previous owner put in new +1 leaf packs out back for his towing needs....the truck has a rakish look to it because of it. i'm not dealing with that just yet, but deal with it i must.

Just reading along here shovel, wanted to tell you that I put a set of max controls on mrs. slowburb's 2005 Suburban, and we like them a lot. Good shocks.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Just reading along here shovel, wanted to tell you that I put a set of max controls on mrs. slowburb's 2005 Suburban, and we like them a lot. Good shocks.

i'm glad to that from you....from what i've been able to gather they do work quite well on stock applications....i don't anything about getting longer units for lifted applications with "crank" and heavier than stock tires.....i always remembered Gabriel as good and it's a long term American company.

at this point in my life i think the Bilsteins may be a bit "over valved" for how and where i drive, so i'm looking for a quality option....i think i've found it...especially with your testimony.....thanks.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
i'm glad to that from you....from what i've been able to gather they do work quite well on stock applications....i don't anything about getting longer units for lifted applications with "crank" and heavier than stock tires.....i always remembered Gabriel as good and it's a long term American company.

at this point in my life i think the Bilsteins may be a bit "over valved" for how and where i drive, so i'm looking for a quality option....i think i've found it...especially with your testimony.....thanks.

Sure man, anytime. Just so you know though, I went to lunch a few days ago with a buddy from work who's never ridden in my Suburban before, and he remarked at how smooooth the ride felt on my Bilstein 5100's.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Sure man, anytime. Just so you know though, I went to lunch a few days ago with a buddy from work who's never ridden in my Suburban before, and he remarked at how smooooth the ride felt on my Bilstein 5100's.
they 5100's are fantastic...no doubt.....the 5125's are just custom version of them....and the 4600's are great for stock height trucks. they just on the "tighter" side of ride feel. i've been on the fence if i was going to find a "softer ride" shock that was good quality. my needs have changed since i've gotten older....sometimes less is more for what i do, not that the 4600's would be a bad choice at all. i just know how they ride, may be different in an IFS truck too, not sure about that though. this is my first......i even like the damned sway bar now, LOL

95bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm ditching the springs and going air ride. I know how to do it all the way around on a 4x2 but have to think about it for a 4x4. rear would be easy but the front would take some serious brain juice.

I don't know if an air ride system would articulate enough for mild off roading. Besides, air ride is hella $$$. If I get my c10 street truck one day tho......

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
I understand that. just throwing it out there. If its stock then that wouldn't be an issue. The rear towing air ride kit has been made. My front end was simple and easy to convert to a towing air ride. I don't know why there is no kit for it yet? Oh snap!!:)

RMH98

Reaction score
I'm planning on a small lift and changing all the bushings while at it. I was thinking of getting a new leaf pack too and maybe even new torsion bars (idk if those wear out over time or not). This got me thinking if there were any suspension components that could give the truck a slightly plusher ride. I know these old trucks will never float like a Cadillac but maybe there's something out there that addresses this?

I installed a set of Sulastic leaf spring shackles on my 98 extended cab short bed, and they are the best investment I have made on this truck, hands down. The shackles combined with all polyurethane bushings all the way around, make this truck ride like there is 400 lbs. in the bed, and the handling is great. I have been running Edelbrock shocks all around, for about 8 years and they are still working like new! As soon as you hit a bump with the stock shackles, and no weight in the bed, the springs drive the straight shackles directly into the frame, before the shocks even begin to work. The Sulastics work like an elbow, allowing the rear end to move, without driving the impact into the frame. Here's their link: http://www.sulastic.com/truck-shackle-suspension-sa-01

95bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I installed a set of Sulastic leaf spring shackles on my 98 extended cab short bed, and they are the best investment I have made on this truck, hands down. The shackles combined with all polyurethane bushings all the way around, make this truck ride like there is 400 lbs. in the bed, and the handling is great. I have been running Edelbrock shocks all around, for about 8 years and they are still working like new! As soon as you hit a bump with the stock shackles, and no weight in the bed, the springs drive the straight shackles directly into the frame, before the shocks even begin to work. The Sulastics work like an elbow, allowing the rear end to move, without driving the impact into the frame. Here's their link: http://www.sulastic.com/truck-shackle-suspension-sa-01

That is awesome. Wonder if a load would make the rear squat more though. Gonna look into this.

RMH98

Reaction score
That is awesome. Wonder if a load would make the rear squat more though. Gonna look into this.
Mine didn't, and I had a 500 lb. generator in the bed. I was worried about that same thing, and figured if it squared, I would add a set of air bags for handling weight, but it has never been an issue. I believe they have a video showing a Chevy, Ford, and Toyota, before and after, and the before showed the rear wheels bouncing slightly off the ground! Keep us posted on yout progress.