Softer ride possible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm planning on a small lift and changing all the bushings while at it. I was thinking of getting a new leaf pack too and maybe even new torsion bars (idk if those wear out over time or not). This got me thinking if there were any suspension components that could give the truck a slightly plusher ride. I know these old trucks will never float like a Cadillac but maybe there's something out there that addresses this?

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
i've found that the best riding leaf springs "out the box" are Tuff Country EZ-Rides......but the best thing you could do is inquire with Alcan or Deaver for a quote on custom packs for exactly what you want for how you use the truck. i don't know if you can get the torsion bars any better, but good shocks like Bilsteins are a great upgrade.......if you're running load range E tires, you can get a softer ride with LT or C rated tires.....my Goodyear Duratracs made a huge difference in "plushness" from the Firestone Destination's that were on her when i got it.....also, remember, a 16" tire has a more cushy sidewall than a 20" tire in general.

most of my old Blazers had custom Deavers and Bilsteins......and for a short truck with heavy tires rode better than stock.

i'm sure someone can give you better advise on the TB's.

put weight in the back if it's a pickup...that helps.

95bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i've found that the best riding leaf springs "out the box" are Tuff Country EZ-Rides......but the best thing you could do is inquire with Alcan or Deaver for a quote on custom packs for exactly what you want for how you use the truck. i don't know if you can get the torsion bars any better, but good shocks like Bilsteins are a great upgrade.......if you're running load range E tires, you can get a softer ride with LT or C rated tires.....my Goodyear Duratracs made a huge difference in "plushness" from the Firestone Destination's that were on her when i got it.....also, remember, a 16" tire has a more cushy sidewall than a 20" tire in general.

most of my old Blazers had custom Deavers and Bilsteins......and for a short truck with heavy tires rode better than stock.

i'm sure someone can give you better advise on the TB's.

put weight in the back if it's a pickup...that helps.

Thx. That gives me a place to start. After I wear out the Cooper Discoverer A/T3's, im thinking of getting Nitto Terragrapplers since everyone seems to love them. I never considered the ride quality for different ply tires. Both sets of my rims are 16's. My stock steelies have Michelin LTX's on them. I've also been wondering how to add weight in the rear for traction in general without losing the utility of my bed. I've imagined myself setting my rear bumper face down and filling it with concrete. Lol. As far as shocks, I was looking at a tuff country lift kit that included shocks but decided against it and wonder if anyone has used Skyjacker Hydro 7000's. They seem beefy and are oil filled rather than gas which seems to have a stiffer rebound.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
before these new Goodyears all i ever owned were Coopers and BFG's....i did buy a set of the original directional Goodyear MTR's back in the '80s though, wasn't a good investment looking back, but i was a kid and wanted what i wanted not what i needed......anyway, i liked the A/T3's and the version that was before them....had em on my K/5....NOT good on icy roads though.

as far as shocks go, i never used any that came in a kit since my first Rancho 2 1/2" gig back in the very early '80's..i did use their steering stabilizer tho......i've read that a lot of those "kit shocks" are made in the same place with different paint and stickers, don't know if it's true, but i prefer Bilstein or i've used old Monroe gas-matic shocks with good results. they were pretty good.....

i can't help you with what i don't know about. the way a shock is valved will determine the ride of the vehicle.....and don't buy a $10 sammich for a $5 appetite....sometimes less is more, research....mayhaps someone that has a particular kit will chime in....use the SEARCH FORUMS feature, lots of good info i got from there as well as other resources.

https://www.realtruck.com/skyjacker-hydro-7000-shocks/
https://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/skyjacker-hydro-shocks

Bilsteins will never be wrong for what you want

put a piece of flat plate steel in the bed....LOL

95bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Right on. Thanks for insight. I've always liked bilsteins in my road cars. I guess they make a quality truck shock as well.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Right on. Thanks for insight. I've always liked bilsteins in my road cars. I guess they make a quality truck shock as well.

a bit tight, but i like em....4600's for stock trucks and 5100's for lifted.......before the accident i was in contact with Off Road Design to get some parts for my Blazer....we were going to use custom 5125's for that truck with my custom spring packs.

you said a "little" lift...that means different things to different people, if you were going 4" or more i'd recommend you talk to these guys... http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/88-98-6lug.htm . they can help you build whatever you'd like. maybe they can help you anyway, their price are good either way.

95bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Only looking for 2" suspension. Maybe add 1-2" more with body bushings. But I'll take a peek anyway

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
i'll mention one thing...i'm considering trying out the Gabriel Max Control shocks. when my unknown blue shocks **** the bed, or i get a bug to do it, which may be soon as i do need a steering stabilizer now ....whoever made them made a decent shock, there's no stickers on them....i can't remember who makes blue shocks, maybe Sears? i've been told by two people my truck rides exceptionally well.

the wrong shocks will fu@k up a good suspension, know that.

since i put the Warn guard on mine and will be doing another battery i do need to raise the front of my truck a tad...... my rear is some higher than stock as the previous owner put in new +1 leaf packs out back for his towing needs....the truck has a rakish look to it because of it. i'm not dealing with that just yet, but deal with it i must.

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
I'm ditching the springs and going air ride. I know how to do it all the way around on a 4x2 but have to think about it for a 4x4. rear would be easy but the front would take some serious brain juice.