Skee's 97 K1500 Stepside build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I think he's considering them right now lol

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Have you considered tow mirrors?

sent from the tractor cab

I have, but I wish I had someone close with a set I could toss on to see before I dropped the money and didn't like em.

Man it is nice having a big truck and being short. I can sit straight up underneath with no problem haha

You must be registered for see images attach

Pulled both diff covers today to check the fluids after the last Knik Glacier run, and also to fix the small leaks I had.

Rear fluid looked fine, it has a breather up the the bed that follows the brake line.

Cleaned it all up, put on some new RTV and let it set. After it dried I pumped it back full again. This D70 is like a damn camel when it comes to gear oil.

Then went to the front axle. Planned to pull the cover and while it drained, pull the hubs and regrease the bearings, since the nasty silt from the glacier water will eat them up.

And I found it full of chocolate milk. Lovely. Looks like its time to put a breather tube on this as well.

But while I was there, and after cleaning it all out, I hit it with a quick coat of some more Satin Black paint.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Been a long time since I've updated the thread. Not much has happened since the SAS was completed.

Tested the new flex out today... RiSSa can stretch pretty nicely! Some IFS vs. SAS comparison pics...

MYT HI

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
i might of asked before but what headlights and corners do you have? truck looks great and a ton more flex then ifs!

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
What?! Updates for the truck?!

Minor in nature, but yes, UPDATES.

Been on the hunt for a 241 Floor shift case to swap, so I could use flanged shafts, allowing better driveline angles, and eliminating the need for a 600$ custom front shaft to be made. Not as easy a task as I thought originally. All of them are either grenaded, way too expensive, or have already been pulled from the trucks.

But, as in the previous post, my buddy has a Jimmy on 1 tons. He swapped from a HP44, and also has a 243 push button transfer case. He gave me his old driveline, although a little too short, should work great.

Mocked up for angles and clearance. Will need to do some clearancing on the trans crossmember, lengthened, and new joints on both end.

And fully flexed out. Yes I realize my pass spring is flattened out. Just testing it out to see at its max, so I know it will be fine at all ranges in between.

While I was at it, leveled the truck out for gits and shiggles. Opinions?

Also went on a recovery mission this past weekend. Pulled out 9 trucks from the river as part of the offroad club I am in, AKX.

Not gonna do a full write up, unless its wanted, but will share some pics.

This is my buddy's SAS'd Ranger on 38s. I decided to not chance the crossing on 35s with no snorkel, and no 4wd, so I took the high road to try to make it to the shallow crossing.

And my fat ass got stuck lol

Caught a tree root after dropping in and it pulled the steering all the way to the left. No 4wd so I got jammed up and dug in. Everyone else crossed the water and no one knew it happened to me.

Yes, we have sand dunes in Alaska.

Covered in that nasty glacier water silt. Looks like its time to repack bearings, and clean out the diffs and fluids again.

Last edited:

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Just some small updates!

241 manual shift drivers drop case picked up. With rebuild kit and super long flange yoke, as well as a super nice K20 front shaft to match.

That should be swapped in this week, then need to find the floor shift linkage and cut the floor out.