Sitting Truck fixes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoonSquad

Reaction score
so I'm picking up a Seirra on Friday that's been sitting for last year and half or so. Guy told me that he replaced the fuel pump drove it around and it shut down wouldn't start back up and parked it. He said it def needs a battery but doesn't know what else. So besides fresh fuel and battery what else should I look into replacing? The fuel should I completely drain it and put fresh fuel or add something to it and try it? Oil I'll def check. But any help would be helpful considering I've been out the OBS game for a minute

You must be registered for see images attach

Thatfordguy

Because I can!!
Reaction score
As for fuel I've started up cars that have been parked for 10 years and just drove them until I needed a refill. To get it going just remember it needs the basics, fuel, fire, and air. Btw that is one clean looking truck!!

GoonSquad

Reaction score
Thanks, only payed 300 for it, dude just doesn't need it. But yeah I'm going to get the year and everything and get basic tuneup parts for it and go from there. I was just worried about the fuel being old and maybe water getting into it.

Thatfordguy

Because I can!!
Reaction score
If it was running a year and a half ago I wouldn't worry to much about the fuel. 300 bucks is a heck of a deal for that. But I'd just start with a the basic tune too and see what happens.

GoonSquad

Reaction score
Yeah I figured he was gonna ask like 1k but he said 300 so I said I'll take it Friday.
These old V8's the 305 have any issues usually?

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Old fuel deteriorates, and "varnishes". In some cases, it will coat the intake valve stems and guides, and can even bend or break a pushrod. I've learned this lesson the expensive way! If I were in your situation, I'd find a way to drain the old fuel out, and put in fresh fuel before driving the truck. You can tell if the gasoline is bad by the sniff test. Old gas smells bad, really bad.

Breakdown

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Depending on how much old fuels in the tank you probably could get away with filling it up with non-ethanol fuel and a can of seafoam or Lucas. I would put a new fuel filter on for general purpose. Looks good and great price!

GoonSquad

Reaction score
Since the bed has to come off to change the fuel pump I'm just going to dump the fuel. Also I just got the truck towed to the house upon checking it out I noticed that there's not a lot of oil in it or radiator fluid from sitting. So here's my list. Fuel pump and filter, oil and filter. Radiator fluid, air filter, new plug wires. That's what I am going to be buying today or tomorrow. Anyone think of other ideas