Single Din Stereo With a Foldout Touchscreen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Very nice job.. and the best part of it is that the radio would just plug in to the single DIN adapter already installed. That would make for a very easy installation in my case. I would not look forward to re-wiring that harness again.

In my old Van the PO had butchered all the radio wiring and it almost took an act of congress to get a radio to work.

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
Very nice job.. and the best part of it is that the radio would just plug in to the single DIN adapter already installed. That would make for a very easy installation in my case. I would not look forward to re-wiring that harness again.

In my old Van the PO had butchered all the radio wiring and it almost took an act of congress to get a radio to work.

Yea i originally had a regular single din in there so i had already did all of the leg work for it.
When i ordered the flip up i ordered a new harness with it and wired it up outside the truck then pulled my old stuff and put it in my dad's truck then put my new stuff in mine. Took maybe 30 minutes.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
is that windshield legal in your state? Over here they frown upon a small 6" strip at the top, I cant imagine cops would like that very much, lol.

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
is that windshield legal in your state? Over here they frown upon a small 6" strip at the top, I cant imagine cops would like that very much, lol.

Very much ILLEGAL my friend
15% on the entire windshield and about a 17 inch strip of 5% as you see.
Knock on wood I've had it like that over 2 years and never had a single problem out of it, even been pulled over for something else and didn't say a word about the tint. Cops around here really don't care about much.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea i originally had a regular single din in there so i had already did all of the leg work for it.
When i ordered the flip up i ordered a new harness with it and wired it up outside the truck then pulled my old stuff and put it in my dad's truck then put my new stuff in mine. Took maybe 30 minutes.

I still have nightmares about that Van install. Idiot PO had cut the speaker leads back AND it is a Dodge for which I had to scour the internet digging up the color codes. I had to lengthen each lead, solder and shrink tube each connection 2 connections per wire. It works great but was a monumental pain in the ass.

By contrast wiring up the pickup was a breeze. I may get one of those flip screen radios but will likely get one with backup monitor and GPS built in. That could come in really handly. Thanks again for the pix.

Cdawg

Reaction score
Went out and took some pictures.. it's been raining all day so it's pretty dark inside the truck, might be kind of hard to see.

You must be registered for see images attach

This is with the camera at my eyes, so basically how I see the dash at my height in my truck.

A little close up, I have the left vent kind of angled around the radio.

Right vent, also angled around the radio to the passenger.

Kind of got low on this one lol, but just to show I have my screen angled straight up and not to where it makes a 90 with the dash.

Then just a straight on pic from the console. Anyone in the back would not get any air from these vents unless you flipped it down.
Thank you very much for taking the time to share. I appreciate it. It certainly looks better than most aftermarket stereos I've seen added.

What is the quality of the dash kit piece? It looks like it's not snapped together all the way at the top. How's the color match? I'll need a burgundy one.

I will have to think about it.

I wonder if any of these stereos have apps that will mirror the screen to a smartphone. I am considering remote installing a stereo, and using the "blank box", to install a smartphone mount. It sucks that a smart phone screen is about the right size for the space of the original head unit, but, there's no good way to control a stereo.

I saw some marine stereos with a remote mount interface that looks like it might work, but, obviously a marine stereo isn't going to have Android auto.

Hmm, lots of things to think about. Thanks again for sharing.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
I still have nightmares about that Van install. Idiot PO had cut the speaker leads back AND it is a Dodge for which I had to scour the internet digging up the color codes. I had to lengthen each lead, solder and shrink tube each connection 2 connections per wire. It works great but was a monumental pain in the ass.

By contrast wiring up the pickup was a breeze. I may get one of those flip screen radios but will likely get one with backup monitor and GPS built in. That could come in really handly. Thanks again for the pix.

Yea if you buy it new everything is pretty much color coded so it is very simple.
I bought an aftermarket backup camera and hooked it up, works great. Personally I like Pioneer head units or JVC. Those head units have that but of course they steadily get more expensive.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share. I appreciate it. It certainly looks better than most aftermarket stereos I've seen added.

What is the quality of the dash kit piece? It looks like it's not snapped together all the way at the top. How's the color match? I'll need a burgundy one.

I will have to think about it.

I wonder if any of these stereos have apps that will mirror the screen to a smartphone. I am considering remote installing a stereo, and using the "blank box", to install a smartphone mount. It sucks that a smart phone screen is about the right size for the space of the original head unit, but, there's no good way to control a stereo.

I saw some marine stereos with a remote mount interface that looks like it might work, but, obviously a marine stereo isn't going to have Android auto.

Hmm, lots of things to think about. Thanks again for sharing.

The dash piece is great quality, the best I remember it is Metra brand, the color is spot on and it's very durable. It does not fit that great in mine because my dash is a goner so there's nothing for it to clip to up there.
Pioneers have that functionality on higher end models as most brands offer a line with it, you'll just need to do some searching.

Cdawg

Reaction score
Yea if you buy it new everything is pretty much color coded so it is very simple.
I bought an aftermarket backup camera and hooked it up, works great. Personally I like Pioneer head units or JVC. Those head units have that but of course they steadily get more expensive.

The dash piece is great quality, the best I remember it is Metra brand, the color is spot on and it's very durable. It does not fit that great in mine because my dash is a goner so there's nothing for it to clip to up there.
Pioneers have that functionality on higher end models as most brands offer a line with it, you'll just need to do some searching.
Yeah, after some research, it looks like your set - up is the best. I think I can easily add steering wheel controls, which would be pretty cool. Thanks again for the photos.

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
Yeah, after some research, it looks like your set - up is the best. I think I can easily add steering wheel controls, which would be pretty cool. Thanks again for the photos.

You could always tape the radio remote to the steering wheel :rotflmao: