Side Molding and Trim After Painting or Not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
I use to be able to stripe before I injured my arm. It is an artform for sure. Took years of practice now since I can't feel 3/4 of my hand and 90% of my lower forearm I can no longer stripe.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why not use a laser level to lay the tape?
Because laser levels were brand new back then and weren't very affordable. I'm also not crazy about staring into a laser reflection for several minutes while I lay a tape stripe on it. I think it would be good for a straightness check after applying the tape.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I asked my son to come over early before we celebrate my 68th birthday (it's Tuesday but we did it yesterday) so we can work on my truck. While waiting for him I decided to lay out the tape for my bump strips. What I decided to do was lay the tape just under the wheel arch chrome strips where the bump strips will go. Then I laid another tape just above it for my guide. After that I pulled the 1st tape off. Now I'm ready to do the bump strips. It's kinda hard to see blue tape on a blue truck, ha ha.
You must be registered for see images attach

I didn't get them laid yet, he showed up when I just got this far. So we went to work on the front bumper 1st. Got it leveled and spaced to the grille. Then pulled the grille and attached the trim strip, mounted the air deflector (valance), and put the grille back on. Oh yeah, I painted the tow hooks too. Before: You can see the bumper is lower on the driver's side.

After:

Next, on to the rear bumper.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We pulled the mounting nuts on the bumper covers and peeled them off. Someone glued them on with black RTV (maybe the Right Stuff - not).
Before: worn out bumper covers

We found a couple old stickers under the covers - 1 had the original GM sticker, and the other had the Chevy dealership's label from Los Banos CA. Maybe a replacement bumper? Here's the center step with the load limit stamped in it.

My son doing all the work. I got tired just watching him, LOL.

All done, WITH NO GLUE! Plus the step cover says 5,000 LB towing capacity - I just upgraded my load limit :anitoof:

All that's left is the bump strips. Maybe I'll get to that tomorrow, I'm gonna rest today before we go out to eat dinner, ha ha.

Last edited:

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Because laser levels were brand new back then and weren't very affordable. I'm also not crazy about staring into a laser reflection for several minutes while I lay a tape stripe on it. I think it would be good for a straightness check after applying the tape.
I'm not a body man.... but ya dont stare at the laser.... I dont think a body man would think twice about laying down a straight line with tape. That's probably just how it's done.... I have no idea though. I would use a laser to make a straight line with tape and then turn it off and put it away. I friggen love my laser lever it's a dewalt with a red line. green is much easier to see in daylight and a bit more expensive but when I get another it will be a green one and more sophisticated.