Show me your cv's!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FusionX

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to buy some 3" keys for my z71 soon and was wanting to see some pics of cv's that are okay and not okay so i know what mine should look like afterwords so I don't go to high?

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
^^^ what he said. They will not help a thing, your factory ones will crank to the droop stops. No key is gonna help from there.

FusionX

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So i'm better off just cranking? I was hoping keys would get me a bit more lift?

98_k1500

Reaction score
I think you only want 2 ribs touching each other 3 ribs touching is to much crank.

I find this to vary widely between cv manufacturers. Little different style of boot may touch earlier/later than others. Not a good indication if you have gone too far. Too far is also a relative term. I got a buddy with a 1/2 ton cranked to the droop stops, he runs the dog **** out of it, and has never broken anything front end wise. He takes decent care of it and greases it liberally and has not had a problem. If you are ok with the ride when you get thru, I'd say you are good.

Jesse82nc

The Burb
Reaction score
How about if someone comes up with something a bit more scientific. Like the max distance between 2 points. Or the max angle of the halfshaft.

I'm not a 4wd expert, but maybe we can come up with 2 standard points to measure from to the ground, and then post the difference.

You must be registered for see images attach

I measured right up against the wheel to the bottom of the lower control arm. And then to the bottom of the frame under the mounting point for the lower control arm.

Obviously the higher you are, the greater the difference will be, and the halfshaft/CV angles should be proportional to this difference. My difference was 3". And I barely have more than 1 rib touching another one.

98_k1500

Reaction score
This may not be the same on 3/4 ton vs 1/2 ton trucks, their geometry are different. be careful. I have 35" tires on stock (partially cranked) suspension.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
the misconception is you cant get lift out of keys which you actually can if you want to hack up your truck, the truth behind all this is like everyones said very detrimental to your truck and your better off cranking your stock keys a bit just dont bury the bolt. as far as halfshaft degree a cv can only operate to a center degree until its tears itself apart, i forget the amount truthfully, but the max one can go it that on down travel you almost touch the control arm and it locks and then snaps when you get moving again....been there done that. truck rode terribly and had no offset in front and a crap load in back because the geometry was so messed up.

Cuban.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mines got the factory keys cranked with a factory block from a 2002 and I can fit 35's no problem. My cv angles suck and I've gone through on cv and about to have to change the other, but hey that's the price you pay to look good.
You must be registered for see images

Don't mind the horrible pictures. I'm putting a new motor in the truck as we speak. And yea I'm missing a window...someone broke into my truck and decided they needed my system more than I did