Should I get this Duramax?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think thats a lot of money for a truck with 160,000miles. My buddy had a 06 2500HD that had its Allison tranny go, it was over $8000 for a new one.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
I'm new here so feel free to take this idea with a grain of salt, But why not regear your current truck and consider a second Gmt 400? If you still want a diesel there is always the 6.2/6.5 turbo diesel, those engines were even availible in the c/k 1500s. I'm only suggesting this because you are already familiar with the platform.

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk

JParker2012

Freedom isn't FREE
Reaction score
Yeah thanks guys but I think il just get a car or wait untill after wyotech. And I traded my nbs Sierra for a 2012 gti with the 2.0l turbo. I traded down though By selling it to fix up my truck and to get rid of a payment lol

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
My opinion time:

First off, I'm sure it was hard to give up such a nice car that you only have had for a while, props for doing that to help out your dad!

About the Dmax, I don't know what all the hype is about everyone with a truck switching to a diesel. Sure, I love diesel trucks, and I will have one some day, but as for now, my OBS is my Daily Driver, and it flat out sucks buying gas for it, and having to fix anything that breaks on a 15 year old truck. That truck has been worked, too high mileage for that price, definitely. Highway haulers aren't the best for a daily driver, everything has been through rough weather, you don't know what kind of problems it is going to have.

Diesel is really expensive EVERYWHERE, I have a buddy with a 2004 Cummins, he is getting around 25 MPG, but still extremely high price for diesel, when you need to change oil, you have to buy more oil than for a normal gas engine, and oil is going up too. I like diesel pickups, I will own one someday, I could trade my OBS in for one, but I'm not going to because it would be stupid for me.

You don't like cars....why? Any GearHead basically likes anything with a motor, I never was too big on 4 doors, but I have changed and like some of them now. A gas saving car would be the way I would go for a daily driver, filling up once every two or three weeks and getting 30+ MPG would be great, more cash in your pocket to put towards your OBS, like buying parts, or say...fixing that dent in your bed. You have to go about these things thinking of what the outcome would be, drive a gas saver for a couple of years, doesn't mean lock the OBS up and not drive it, drive it one day a week or so, then drive your car the rest of the time. In the meantime, you are making money for YOU, after you have plenty of money, within a couple years maybe prices will settle, or get better, then trade in and get a diesel truck, maybe by that time even a good deal on a GMT900 or something.

That's just what I would do, we are the same age, but that's just what I would think, there are plenty of nice cars out there man, it don't have to be either Muscle Car or Big Pickup. With the money on that GMC you can buy a brand new Chevy Cruze, it's what I would do.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can respect that man, I can tell you have your priorities straight ;) and you are right blue x it is very hard to tell the tone over the internet and im Sorry I lost my cool.

Is cool I can see how some of the replies made you feel that way. Some of us may come across a little strong, but we are just giving you advice so you don't make the same mistakes we did. I would love to be in your position with that cash an college already paid for. Personally I think you should put it up till after college and you could have you very nice down payment on a house when you get out if you can leave it all in the bank making money for you.....

ricerocket1135

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is what I would do if I were you... because I have done it.

I was in the same situation as you. My Grandmother passed away and I was left with some cash. I used the cash to find "DEALS" on cars. Like where the little old lady drove the 20 year old drop-top mustang... and took my cash there and bought it "right". I drove it for a month or two, got my fix on that vehicle, then sold it. Make a little money on each one and before you know it you will have the 20k in the bank and the Duramax in your driveway.

Everybody gives me crap because I have owned a ton of vehicles.

The deals are out there... scour CL and keep your eyes peeled. I would mainly focus on one type of vehicle and get on the market, so when one is too cheap, you know it... at that point it is blatantly obvious. I bought my 2004 D-Max that was lifted on 20's with 35's for $13,000. It had 83k on it and was a ccsb loaded.

If you spend the time on the net and looking at cars/trucks you can make some decent coin and drive the vehicles you love.

Just my .02

OH... and NEVER buy a vehicle because of an emotional attachment. That has bit me in the butt many times!