Shop refused to service transmission - Find another shop or Thank them?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
It looks like from the sticker he changed the oil in January (about a 1000 miles ago). I had them do the oil change, fuel filter, front and rear diff, transfer case and coolant. My plan was to do just that, establish a schedule. They just wouldn't touch the transmission.

Were they going to use that stupid machine on it to backflush and force feed it fluid? Because that is a horrible idea anyway.

Just drop your plan and replace it with this, https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-265-8...UTF8&qid=1470787600&sr=1-1&keywords=4l60e+pan

Replace your filter at the same time. Then, follow the drain fill schedule with your oil changes, and next year do the filter again. From then on, do your filter every 30,000

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
It makes sense, they don't want to have you or anyone with a high mileage trans come back in a couple weeks saying "Ever since you did my flush my trans is acting up and you should pay for it", thats all.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
It makes sense, they don't want to have you or anyone with a high mileage trans come back in a couple weeks saying "Ever since you did my flush my trans is acting up and you should pay for it", thats all.

And, if they are using that BS "total fluid exchange" machine, they know how likely it is to damage something.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
It looks like from the sticker he changed the oil in January (about a 1000 miles ago). I had them do the oil change, fuel filter, front and rear diff, transfer case and coolant. My plan was to do just that, establish a schedule. They just wouldn't touch the transmission.

I wouldn't doubt its probably from experience...I bet hes flushed a couple dirty ass transmissions and the customer comes back a week later accusing them of sabatoge and so now he doesn't do it..

why else would the guy turn down making a buck?

NorthTexasDylan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok did some checking. Transmission is a 4L60E. Pulled the dipstick and it was a little dark. Not burnt at all but not a pretty red color either. Trying to find another pan. The one you listed on Amazon says it does not fit my vehicle. However if I go to Dorman's website and look up the part number it says it fits 98 and up 4L60E. Any difference in a 97 or 98 4L60E transmission oil pan?

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Ok did some checking. Transmission is a 4L60E. Pulled the dipstick and it was a little dark. Not burnt at all but not a pretty red color either. Trying to find another pan. The one you listed on Amazon says it does not fit my vehicle. However if I go to Dorman's website and look up the part number it says it fits 98 and up 4L60E. Any difference in a 97 or 98 4L60E transmission oil pan?

There's a shallow and a deep, otherwise not that I'm aware of. I put one on my old 95 and on my 07 Trailblazer.

Rogue

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The GMC dealership back home won't even touch my dad's 1988 Chevy K1500's transmission for a fluid change even though it was rebuilt less than 10,000 miles ago (truck has 150,000 miles on it). They say it's too old to work on, and that he should just replace it with a new truck. Plus, they said the rear differential couldn't be serviced because it's too rusty and that he would have to replace the axle (I looked, it's not bad...surface rust only).

Point of my post....I'm skeptical of trusting any mechanic that tells me in short that my vehicle is just too old to work on in regards to the transmission or the axles after my dad's episode at that dealership.

Just my 2 cents....

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
She was full of ****. Drop the pan and replace the filter and overfill by 2 quarts. Yank the return line off the trans or one of the lines off the radiator up front and stick it in a bucket. I've always used milk jugs. Idle the truck to pump a gallon through then shut it off. Add another gallon to the trans and repeat at least 2 more times. You'll find the fluid comes out cleaner every jug and there's no excess pressure to knock deposits loose. I did this to my truck when it was over 200,000 miles. Prior, it had a bunch of clutch cement in the pan and this flush caused zero issues. Mere filter changes were not enough to get the fluid nice and bright red again. Old broken down fluid is no good and does not keep a transmission together. I also did this to my wife's Grand Prix at 190,000 miles and there were zero issues. Also did it to her Envoy at 64,000 miles with no issues. The level of ignorance in the world of "professional" auto repair is mind boggling.

ZWilson07

Reaction score
I have always hated this "myth" even though it does have a little bit of merit but to me its kind of the same belief that switching to synthetic will make everything start leaking like crazy and make seals go bad o_O Just something that turned into something bigger than it should have.

If I had an older high mileage vehicle with original trans fluid, I more than likely wouldn't put it on a power flush machine but I certainly wouldn't have any problems with at least dropping the pan, doing a new filter, and draining the fluid a few more times after that to ensure the fluid was fresh.

Unfortunately when you deal with a lot of dealers or shops you get stuck talking with a service manager or service writer type of individual who may have their own "standards" that they use to rely information to customers with. Not to say there aren't some who really know their stuff but as with most things in life, you should take others advice and opinions with a grain of salt and try to use research and your best judgement when making a decision. The same can be said about some "mechanics" or "techs." Some are better than others, some know more than others, some are more picky and cleaner than others, some simply just care more or any combination of them all. Trust me, I don't like it just as much as the next guy but that unfortunately is the world we live in.

To answer your original question, I would have just thanked her for her time, moved on with my life, and did my own service on it.

Good luck

Last edited: