Seat belt buckle bolts stuck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The torx plus are structural, you won't be using screwdriver handle. On many threaded fasteners that are exposed to the elements on underside GM has coated the exposed threads with the same sealant used in sealing metal surfaces like the lapped metal sheets in pickup bed. Best removed before spinning faster out or will mimic lock tight. :waytogo:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This first time I replaced the belts in the 93 K1500. One was getting hard, stiff. The other the dog decided to taste test. So I ordered new from dealer. That's when I blew through two torx bits, ok , what's going on. At that time my cousin worked at GMC, " you need this" whatzat? Torx plus. Oh fits better.
And that's after I broke the torx in the head, so one had to be drilled. The rest of the other 8 or 9 easy. A while ago ( new belts from dealer)
Hey if it worked for you , I wish I had your luck. My luck is the next panel I have to remove , the guy who installed it usually uses buggered Phillips screws and power drives with impact.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I'm finding myself scratching my head as I've pulled a LOT and I mean a LOT of seatbelt bolts and simply used my regular ol' Crafstman T50 bit that came in the basic set of them. No issues.

Richard
I've used the T50 and T47 on seat belt bolts on the 400 trucks. T50 does seem to fit most of them better though. Last square burb I probably used them too, to replace one of the second row belts. That bolt ended up breaking off in the hole(guess the factory coating and the ziebart rust proof undercoat did a number on it?). So I had the pleasure of drilling out a grade 8 bolt, laying under the Burb, at an awkward angle...not even remotely resembling fun! Put a bolt and nut on it, with lock washers, cranked it good and tight, and it was still there when we sold the truck, several years later.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Now you guys have me wondering if the shift guide bolts in a T56 aren't torx plus, I've broken more than 1 bit off fighting with those.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I got the correct t47 plus impact from Snap-On and even with my 1400ft-lbs Milwaukee impact it won’t budge. It actually twisted the bit
I broke a T55 bit off in a caliper pin on the '06 Denali front brakes. Actually I think I stretched it or maybe cracked it, and a friend who was helping, broke it, when I told him I couldn't get it loose.
I've also rounded the hex in a 400's caliper bolt, with a 3/8" hex driver, when I was trying to get it loose and was actually tightening it. Takes a long sturdy breaker bar and a fair bit of determination and grunt, to do that...those are at least grade 8 bolts.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am on my 50th year doing auto body in New England. To take a seat belt bolt out I give it a few smacks with an impact driver. If that doesn't work get the torch and breaker bar