SAS question.... 1/2 ton axles from 91 K5

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Needing some help.

Coming into the gate today, SecFo decided to comment on my "chevy lean" and how my ball joints are going out, AGAIN. So I think thats my cue that I need to get this taken care of, and soon.

Most of you know I had plans to SAS my truck, and then college slapped me in the face. BUT, I have a guy in the club up here that is giving away a set of complete 1/2 ton axles out from under a 91 K5. They are the upgraded 31 spline 10 bolts. My question is, how different are these from 1 tons, as far as mounting and such? Would it be the same to put these, or at least the front, under my truck, as a set of 1 tons? And then down the road, how much of a change would I have to make when I do step up to a set of tons?

cochino12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
far as I know the only difference is the location of the shock mounts

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
Its funny I was just planning to do this very interested in the answer

Adam

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you can run the front axle but you need a passenger side drop transfer case,and down the road you can change over the spindles and run 8 lug rotors on that axle if needed

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
same sas I'm going to do using 1/2 ton front axle, biggest thing is them being gm they are ps drop and require the ps drop 241 with vss from the older squres, if not then you won't have a speedo.

also you have to find old dana44 flat top knuckles or buy them from reid or whoever makes them, but they are like $270 a piece. This is to let you use crossover steering, because the stock 10 bolt knuckles are not flat tops and no way or making crossover work without a flat top.

Well there may be some ways to make it work but whether or not it's a safe way is another story.

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
I think some companys will machine them to work. I dunno im still a newb

Adam

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
NO not a 10 bolt knuckle, ONLY the older factory dana 44 flat tps get machined to work.

891Ton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The biggest disadvantage to using the chevy axles is that you will be using a low pinion setup. And since you do a little wheeling (prob a lot more once you SAS it) you want the high pinion axle. Also like mentioned above you will have to find a passenger drop Tcase which isnt a huge deal because swapping out an NP241 is about as hard as changing your oil. But its an extra step which can be completely avoided by using a Ford axle. It will be no different when going to one tons other than some steering changes. Your truck will be ready to accept the axle in the place of the 1/2 ton axle.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
The biggest disadvantage to using the chevy axles is that you will be using a low pinion setup. And since you do a little wheeling (prob a lot more once you SAS it) you want the high pinion axle. Also like mentioned above you will have to find a passenger drop Tcase which isnt a huge deal because swapping out an NP241 is about as hard as changing your oil. But its an extra step which can be completely avoided by using a Ford axle. It will be no different when going to one tons other than some steering changes. Your truck will be ready to accept the axle in the place of the 1/2 ton axle.

That was my main concern was the unbolt and bolt in tons and make a few slight changes. Transfer case swap is not a big deal because I want to swap to a manual transfer case anyways. It is hard to find ford axles up here, but Chevy tons are a dime a dozen.

891Ton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
then go with the chevy. The high pinion Fords are a huge help if your going to run a lot of lift or be doing a lot or rock crawling. If neither one of those sums up what you need then the Chevy axle is actually better. While its low pinion it also has some better features. Some of the hardware on the Chevy and Dodge 60's is larger and they used beefier knuckles. Dodge and Chevy axles also have the option of using factory D70 axle shafts where the Fords did not. Upgrading to 35 Spline outers on the Ford requires aftermarket chromo parts, where the Dodge and Chevys used D70's which can be swapped into your D60 housing with no modification. So there are benifits to the Chevy that (for you) may outweigh its couple downfalls. If you have a pushbutton Tcase then I wouldnt hesitate to go Chevy and swap that thing out.