Rusted torsion bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Askme42

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so last weekend we put a rough country lift on my truck. The torsion bars were so rusted we had to take the rear cross member and lower control arms all out at once because the bars just wouldn't budge. They had bn soaked for a few weeks in lube we tried heating them and BFH and even an air hammer they never moved. Now the problem is I already have TB relocators. So my question is does anyone have any tips on getting these things out. The plan now is just keep spraying lube on them and sometime this fall take another crack at it.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had to use torches and cut the bottom of the keys off, then pound the crossmember back. Did it thiw way on a few trucks, much easier then heating and pounding.

chevy power

Reaction score
i had the same issue with mine. i was able to remove for the cross member but not the lower control arm. it wouldnt come out. after heating and air hammering. ended up taking it to a mahine shop and after 3 days of trying to remove they called back and said it wouldnt come out. so i just went to a localjunk yard a bought a used set of torsion bars and lower controlarms $90.00 a side. then i went back to the machine shop and had new bushings pressed in. (moog).

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
15lb sledge will work. but you can fracture the head of the TB. if you do, i've got my old set i'll sell ya for $100. theyre in good shape but i went with 1ton bars when i put my lift in.