RTV Sealant on Oil pan gasket???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dusnoetos

Reaction score
I am replacing the oil pan on my Vortec 5.7 (see THIS thread for full story:help:)
I bought the FEL-PRO oil pan gasket - one piece. My confusion is: do I need to use RTV sealant with it?

Ive been told that it does NOT need sealant, even where it connects to timing cover (witch came with sealant...)

Just hate to get it all together and to lose all my oil...
Any help would be great.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I'm the same as you so I always use it for cheap insurance.

I've been told that you can run it dry also but with my luck there would be one small smudge of grease on there or it would get pinched in the most uncommon spot and it would leak on me.

I used that same gasket this summer with RTV and it hasnt leaked a drop since I replaced it. BTW, 4wd oil pan is a PITA!!

Dusnoetos

Reaction score
I'm the same as you so I always use it for cheap insurance.

I've been told that you can run it dry also but with my luck there would be one small smudge of grease on there or it would get pinched in the most uncommon spot and it would leak on me.

I used that same gasket this summer with RTV and it hasnt leaked a drop since I replaced it. BTW, 4wd oil pan is a PITA!!

thankfully my truck is 2wd. was quite easy to remove once I realized I had to turn the crank so the counter balance lobes are out of the way.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read the instructions that come with the pan gasket.

Mine (also Fel-Pro, but the pan gasket was part of a bottom-end seal kit) said to put a dot of sealer at each corner.