Rotors and brakes opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CruiseLifeB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothin’ for nuthin’ the first priority of any vehicle should be the brakes. For if not yourself, then others…like children.
Yea I budgeted for new everything pads rotors calipers even the hub assembly, so everything is getting replaced if I can reuse the pads cause the thickness I may do that. As far as the codes I have no idea I have to look at that link that you sent me to check .

CruiseLifeB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
As @Schurkey has said, what brake code do you have? Being a '98, it's likely either JB5 or JB6 brakes...

Either way, you at least need new rotors. They're pretty worn out and I wouldn't bother getting them turned. Your pads are still good and calipers look a bit dirty, but otherwise fine.
What exactly is a brake code? Is that like a grade of brakes?

CruiseLifeB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks interesting. so more questions .& I don’t want to sound repetitive or like I’m not reading.
Speaking about the brakes specifically (since that was the topic of discussion) JB6 or JB3 etc. would tell you not just the dimensions of rotors , the rear drums, or part specs it speaks on the “grade” of the entire braking system? (Or any system on the truck speaking more broadly)
Like y’all were talking about upgrading if it was JB3 that would be upgrading everything master cylinder & all?

Chevyman1969

Reaction score
I totally understand trying to cut back cost however, safety is first. Can you bring the rotors down to a machine shop and see if they are able to turn them? If so turn them get lifetime pads then later on get new rotors and have the pads warrantee replaced.

CruiseLifeB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I totally understand trying to cut back cost however, safety is first. Can you bring the rotors down to a machine shop and see if they are able to turn them? If so turn them get lifetime pads then later on get new rotors and have the pads warrantee replaced.
I completely agree I’m not rushing cause whatever I do I want it to be the best thing for the truck. I’d like my daughters first time driving to be this one she loves it already & shes 3

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ben1975