Resuscitating the 1992 K2500 Restore and Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeremiah6.5

Reaction score
Well this should be a good build. But i have some good news and bad news...Good news since its a '92 and has the mechanical Injection pump you will not need to worry about a PMD relocation....Bad news is you cannot body lift a diesel without doing a lot of work. you MUST keep the radiator in the exact spot it is in now. So you have two choices here...hack up your original rad support and lower the rad section the distance that you are lifting the body. that or fabricate offset rad mounts. The Diesel engines do not take kindly to overheating at all!

Well how about a suspension lift then?? Some offset radiator mounts shouldnt be to hard to do because I got welding courses on Wed's so I pretty much have access to free metal, machines, and welding....I've already been thinking of some kind of lower air scoop to get cool air up into the engine bay or against the radiator to help out.....idk

I've subscribed to your build thread also!! Right now the look I'm wanting to go for is prerunner/trail truck bumper, and lights setup with Matte Black body...anything thats ususally painted I want it matte black, anything usually chrome I want it glossy black....I'd love to be able to find some prerunner fenders for the front also

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Well how about a suspension lift then?? Some offset radiator mounts shouldnt be to hard to do because I got welding courses on Wed's so I pretty much have access to free metal, machines, and welding....I've already been thinking of some kind of lower air scoop to get cool air up into the engine bay or against the radiator to help out.....idk

I've subscribed to your build thread also!! Right now the look I'm wanting to go for is prerunner/trail truck bumper, and lights setup with Matte Black body...anything thats ususally painted I want it matte black, anything usually chrome I want it glossy black....I'd love to be able to find some prerunner fenders for the front also

Suspension lift is doable. I will be rocking a 4" or 6" Rough Country lift on mine with 33" or 35" tires. Chrisau has found me a supplier on FSC plus i have also gained a possible Canadian source for the lift so that is on the to do this this winter. At the moment im actually giving some serious thought of going full bore 6" RCX lift and rock 33" tires till i can afford 35" tires.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
You could also run electric fans on your rad.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
There's too much hate with electric fans lately. If you get the right size fans and set them up right they have advantages over an engine driven fan.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
There's too much hate with electric fans lately. If you get the right size fans and set them up right they have advantages over an engine driven fan.

The biggest thing with 6.x diesels is that they must be kept below 210 degrees