Replacement Ignition Lock Cylinder Won't Turn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisC

Reaction score
Hi all!

In my 99 Yukon, the ignition lock cylinder is wearing out. The key is loose in the cylinder, and I usually have to "shake" it a couple times to get it to start. Usually, it starts without a hitch. However, the plastic trim around the lock cylinder is all busted up...

So while I was at the junk yard today, I found a 2001 GMC Safari and it turns out my key somehow fit in the ignition cylinder perfectly and turned it like it was meant to be... I was amazed. A quick search revealed it was the same part number as the one my Yukon takes, meaning it should work. Anyways, I took the lock cylinder along with my other parts and was on my way.

When I got back and started installing parts, I pulled the old lock cylinder without any problems, dropped the new one in and... nothing. It wouldn't turn past the off position no matter what I did (FYI I'm fairly certain my passlock system has already been bypassed and even so, I don't think it would stop it from turning at all). I tried everything short of pulling the wheel to get it to turn... eventually I just said forget it, and drilled it out and removed it. I was able to start the truck with a large screwdriver (no lock cylinder at all), so my ignition switch is still good.

I then proceeded to drop the old one back in (I kept the key in the cylinder and everything). I installed it while it was in the run position, I cranked it back to off, and when I went to crank it on... nothing. I can jiggle the cylinder a little bit, and push it in and out, but it doesn't turn at all... the same thing as putting the wrong key in. I tried a couple of other GM keys (since the lock is worn out) and those didn't work either. Hours of searching left me nowhere.

TL;DR: Put new ignition lock cylinder in, wouldn't turn. Drilled it out, put old one back in, still won't turn at all.

Sooooooo...... any ideas? At the very least, how could I either remove the cylinder without drilling (and without the key turning), or get the damn key to turn?

Thanks!

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
Are you sure you dont just need a new set of keys made? I had a similar issue where I would have to jiggle the keys to get her to start and then eventually nothing, I took the pink slip down to the dealership, they grinded me a new set of keys (surprisingly for free) and everything was good again.

ChrisC

Reaction score
Are you sure you dont just need a new set of keys made? I had a similar issue where I would have to jiggle the keys to get her to start and then eventually nothing, I took the pink slip down to the dealership, they grinded me a new set of keys (surprisingly for free) and everything was good again.

The only problem is the lock cylinder was replaced by the previous owner. I can get a new cylinder and key set from ACDelco no problem, I'm just worried that it'll get stuck too and need to be drilled out (like the problem is somewhere else)

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
This may be a long shot as it's been a few years since I've played with one of these columns up close. If you think that something external to the lock may be interfering with it turning over and you've already established it is unlikely to be the electrical portion of the ignition switch, as you have turned that with a screwdriver - you might consider temporarily removing the cable that locks out the shifter. Remove it obviously from the end where it contacts the ignition; should just be able to depress the lock tab on it and slip it out. It's the round black cable going in right near where the lock and the electrical portion of the switch meet up.

Richard

ChrisC

Reaction score
This may be a long shot as it's been a few years since I've played with one of these columns up close. If you think that something external to the lock may be interfering with it turning over and you've already established it is unlikely to be the electrical portion of the ignition switch, as you have turned that with a screwdriver - you might consider temporarily removing the cable that locks out the shifter. Remove it obviously from the end where it contacts the ignition; should just be able to depress the lock tab on it and slip it out. It's the round black cable going in right near where the lock and the electrical portion of the switch meet up.

Richard

Thank you for this information, I was able to get the shifter lock out, which allowed me to put the truck in neutral and pull it to a spot that's easier to work on. Unfortunately the steering wheel is locked still. I went to drill out the lock cylinder today but it's tougher than nails... even my good drill bits barely made a scratch... looks like it's time to call a locksmith

Mert

Reaction score
I had the same issue with mine. A locksmith grinded a key for me just a tad thicker to meet those small cylinders and it worked like a charm. Paid almost to none.

ChrisC

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
Update: locksmith wasn't able to do much. Looks like the problem is something in the ignition cylinder housing is preventing the cylinder from turning. Went ahead and disassembled and removed the steering wheel, clockspring, lock plate, and finally the ignition cylinder housing. I wasn't able to punch the cylinder out the back (the plastic gears just pop out) and I tried to start my truck but effing passlock kicked in!!!!

Anyone know of a cheap way to get around passlock, especially when I don't have an ignition cylinder at all (just the ignition switch is all that's installed)? Supposedly putting resistors onto the yellow wire helps but I'm not sure if that'll trick the BCM into thinking a key is in the ignition...